Chapter Six

I woke up in the middle of the night, a piercing yelling breaking through the silence of my room. I threw myself out of my bed, wrapping my arms around the thin nightgown. I tiptoed around the doorframe, peering through the darkness to try and find out what the noise was. The room fell quiet, then the scream sounded again. I jumped as I saw it came from Loki's bed.

I darted into the room, and pulled the drape back to see Loki thrashing against the bed, beads of sweat pooling at his forehead.

"Loki? Loki, its Dahlia, you need to wake up." I hesitated as I stood by his head, unsure of what to do.

He began panting, as if he was struggling to breathe. "Loki, Loki it's okay. Everything's okay, you just need to wake up." I held a hand over his face, not quite prepared to touch him. It's not that I didn't want to wake him up - I did - but it felt wrong to touch him whilst he was sleeping.

But before I could make up my mind his fingers found my wrist, digging in as they pulled my arm down. He began to scream again, his breath cold against my hand, chilling me to the bone. I tried to pull away but he sat up, his eyes snapping open, his breathing fast and shaky.

"Loki, Loki its me - your maid, Dahlia. You were shouting you..." I trailed off as he pushed himself to his feet, my arm still trapped in his. He pushed me against the wall, his tall body towering over mine.

"Loki?" His eyes stared down at me, shining an almost unnatural blue in the moonlight. His spare hand moved from his side to my neck, gently squeezing before he yanked me off my feet. I tugged at his hand, my nails scratching his skin in a desperate attempt for him to let go.

"Loki-" I gasped, feeling the air being pushed out of my body. "Loki! Loki I can't... I can't breathe... breathe... lo-" I could feel myself losing a grip on reality as black spots invaded my vision. My eyes rolled slightly as I felt my body giving up.

***

~Third persons POV~

Loki could feel a sharp pain in his head before he snapped his eyes open, the sensation dulling into a throbbing that pounded against his skull. He squeezed his eyes shut, but slowly opened them as he felt the stone floor beneath him rather than the softness of his bed.

It took a second for him to adjust as he tried to focus on his sight rather than the pain. But he thought he was still in his dream as he saw a small, slumped shape pressed against the wall.

He stealthily crept over, before realising with a jolt of panic that it was Dahlia. Her hair was knotted from sleep, but no breathing was audible from her. It was when Loki approached, gently grazing his fingers across her shoulder in a weak attempt to wake her, that he noticed deep red scratches along her throat. As his hand caught the sliver of light, he noticed fainter scratches against his own hand, in jagged lines across his knuckles.

The pain suddenly returned, doubling him over as he held in a scream. He couldn't recall what had happened to cause Dahlia to lie by his bed in such a state, but worry began flowing through him at the thought that it was he who caused her the pain.

Gently lifting her in his arms, he lowered her body into his bed. Her head rolled back, letting Loki inspect the marks along her neck. He breathed a sleeping enchantment over her, before letting his magic slowly heal her wounds. Holding his breath, he waited, until he saw Dahlias small body rise and fall, showing she was breathing normally again. A flicker of pain crossed her features, causing Loki to study her face.

He peeled her sweat covered hair away from her face, stroking it back so she wouldn't feel so hot. He covered the sleeping girl in his royal bedsheets, and when he was happy she was sleeping and healing, he ran himself a quick bath.