Chapter Four

I had been excused from jobs for the few days immediately following the ball. Matron had been furious with me for talking to the warrior who's name I learnt as Fandral, and had followed through on her threat. I received 10 lashings to my back, which would be enough to hurt anybody, but nobody had taken into account the fact I'm human, and as the lashings continued, the weaker I became. I was unable to keep myself afloat, and eventually passed out from the pain.

I woke up a day later being treated to in the servants medical bay: one of four small beds with a single healer. They'd kept me from work but today was the day when I was expected to return to my duties.

I was polishing the huge quantities of silverware in the kitchens when the doors banged open.

"Dahlia?" I turned to face Maria, who marched through the room, a mix of confusion and pride on her face.

"Are you okay?" I asked as she almost pushed the other girls out the way, reaching me.

She looked confused "I'm fine, but you need to go to the throne room."

I blinked, no servants were ever asked to go to the throne room.  "Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Come on." She grabbed my hand, leading me through the maze of corridors, stopping before a pair of huge golden doors.

A guard smiled softly at me. "Dahlia, right?" I nodded, still confused, as he opened the door. Maria gave a quick wave before disappearing back around a corner we'd come from.

The throne room was just as I remembered it from my arrival a few weeks ago. The golden walls shimmered as I walked down the aisle to kneel before the King and Queen who sat regal on their thrones. Thor and Loki were stood to their side, but I couldn't look at them. Not if there was a possibility Matron would hear about this meeting.

"I believe you know why you were called here today?"

I glanced up with a frown on my face as I met Odin's gaze. "Forgive me, your majesty, but I do not."

Odin looked confused, but raised his hand, flicking his wrist up in a motion for me to stand. I winced with pain as the cuts on my back reopened as I straightened. I could feel the blood slowly ooze out onto the bandages, and I blushed, hoping the layers of cloth would disguise it.

"We are formally offering you the position of handmaid to the Prince." My eyes widened, as I glanced at the two men who stood next to Odin. "Unlike the regular maids, you are to wait on him only, and take orders from nobody else, including the matrons and guards of the palace."

I'm free. I'm free from Matron!

"There are serving rooms attached to his, which are now your chambers. Your pay will increase, as will your status, though you are still a maid. Understand?"

I nodded quickly, "yes, your highness. Thank you." A small smile flashed across his face before he turned to his sons. Which one am I meant to serve? Thor seemed nice, but I knew Loki a little better, even though he intimidated me.

"Your role begins now, collect your belongings and take them to your chambers of Loki's rooms."

Loki!

I curtseyed quickly, avoiding everyone's eyes as I hurried out of the room. I prayed the servants quarters would be empty as I practically ran downstairs. Luckily they were, and I collected my pyjamas and brush as quickly as I could before dashing back up to Loki's rooms.

I slowed outside, hand on hip as I tried to steady my breathing. I wasn't one for exercise back at home, and I hadn't gotten used to the amount of stairs in the palace. I knocked twice on Loki's door, waiting for his usual reply, before pushing it open. He was sat in his desk chair, studying some papers intensely.