Chapter Twenty Five

We traveled quickly to the ruined village, letting the warm evening air wrap around us as I held onto Loki's body. We stopped in the usual place, and Loki slid off his horse with ease, to help me onto my feet.

We walked around quietly, and I wrapped my hand around his. I felt a little tension between us, but I didn't want to break it. The thought of an argument with him caused my throat to tighten and make my head hurt.

"Dahlia," Loki started as he gently pulled us down onto a crumbling wall. I looked at him, noting a strength in his gaze that wavered a little the longer I kept contact. "I think we need to talk."

I swallowed and nodded, but kept quiet.

"I... I feel like you're upset with me and I've been wracking my mind but I don't know what I've done to cause you sadness. I promise you that I didn't intend to make you feel like that -"

"Loki stop." I held a hand up, watching his face fall as he stopped speaking. "I'm not upset with you, I'm just... confused."

His brows furrowed, but his gaze softened as he turned to face me better. "About what?"

"Us?" His brows deepened, but I continued before he could ask further. "I don't know what this is, Loki. I don't want to have the cliché conversation about what we have together, but I think I need some form of confirmation. I like you a lot, and there's things that we do and say that I didn't do even when I was on Earth."

Loki stayed quiet, his head cocked slightly to the side as he studied me. I wasn't sure where his mind was wandering to, and so I stayed silent, following his eyes as his gaze wandered. "What we are?"

"Well, technically we aren't courting. To court someone here we have to go to Odin, or so I've gathered. And I have a feeling Odin would rather have me arrested and beaten that be courting you." I squeezed his hand gently, watching him wrap his fingers around around mine as I waited for his reply.

"I think we are courting. Just without the consent of the Allfather." Loki murmured.

In my head I imagined courting to have the same definition as dating. But the feelings I held for Loki were growing and I knew in my heart that I needed him to want something more serious. This was a man I couldn't casually sleep with. No, I knew I wanted something more than that.

I plucked up the courage to ask. "What are the steps after courting here?"

Loki hummed softly. "You go to the parent, usually father but it depends on the situation, of whoever you are courting and ask for them to bless your marriage. With their agreement you go to the Allfather and ask for his blessing. Once Odin agrees, you propose to your loved one and then become betrothed."

My heart was thudding. "That's all? They are the only options?"

"What other option would there be?" Loki asked with a puzzled expression.

"What if, I don't know, there's somebody who you've been courting and you really like them, and you want to be with them but you aren't ready for marriage."

"You court them."

"But isn't there another step?" I asked, exasperated.

"Is there another step on Mid- Earth?" I smiled a little as Loki altered his Asgardian terminology.

"Earth works differently. And every culture and religion does it differently." I looked at him, and he held my gaze, expectant.

"Would you explain the Earth steps to me?" He asked.

I pulled my head back, "You really want to know?"

He nodded readily, "This is important to you and our... relationship. I would like to know how it happens where you're from."