Chapter Five

I woke up to the sound of silence, something I didn't hear very often in the servant quarters. As I slowly woke up, images of the day before began returning to me.

Loki. I had been made Loki's maid - I didn't have to answer to Matron anymore - I was free. Freeish, I was still stuck on Asgard but at least I was with Loki who was kind enough, if a bit odd.

There was a small sheet of parchment with writing scrawled across it sat on the small table by my bed. They were rules, instructions of tasks I needed to complete. As I sat up I became very aware that I was only loosely wrapped in a blanket, my clothes nowhere in sight.

Shitttttt.

I leapt up, tracing a finger lightly across my back to feel only slight ridges, scars. How had my back already scarred?

I danced on my feet, trying to figure out what to do. I was naked except for a blanket, with no clothes. I opened the wardrobe pushed against the opposite wall, praying that my missing clothes had magically appeared. They hadn't, but what had made me even more surprised.

There were five dresses hanging on the rail. They looked different to my old maids dress. They were slightly thicker, due to a few layers of fabric, clean, and pressed to lie nicely. I fingered one between my fingers, the silky material soft to touch. It was a light grey, the colour of all maid uniforms.

I took the dress into the bathroom and quickly bathed, washing the cream off my back and grime off my body.

A huge warm towel was folded on the side, and I had to remind myself to be quick as I had many jobs to do. The dress fit perfectly. It had sleeves that sat down to my elbow. The top bodice was close fitting, but not tight, and the skirt flared slightly, falling to my feet, so I was able to walk freely. I yanked my brush through my knotted hair, trying to smooth the frizz that appeared overnight. I couldn't find any shoes, but figured I would ask Loki before I went to fetch his breakfast.

His room was quiet as I entered, the curtains pulled across the huge floor length windows. I bit my lip, scanning the page of tasks. I was to prepare breakfast, bringing it back to his rooms, wake him up if he wasn't already, and then ask for specific instructions. I was to tidy all rooms, and accompany him to places if he requested. I assumed this was for meetings, or when the King held the throne room open for council.

I found a small pair of grey slippers with a note next to them - they were to be mine. I slipped them on, memorising the breakfast order before slipping out the room and making my way to the royal kitchens, which was almost deserted at this time. I piled a tray with fruits, bread, water and wine, before carrying the tray to the door.

I paused, seeing a small vase filled with flowers on the side. Nobody was in the room, nobody would know if I were to take one. And it might put Loki in a good mood, which would certainly help me for my first day serving him.

When I reached Loki's rooms I placed the tray onto the small table by the sofa and chairs. I rearranged the fruit and bread to look appetising, the goblets of wine and water placed to the side. The flower lay along the short edge, mostly white with pink tinges along the edges of the petals. The stem was a vivid green, bright against the silver tray.

What time was he meant to wake up? What time even was it? Clocks weren't really a thing on Asgard, and I couldn't remember how to tell the time with the sun. When I was working in the serving quarters I had other people to help me, but now I was by myself. I decided to wake him. If I was too early then he could always just go back to sleep.

I pulled the heavy curtains back, a soft sunlight pouring through the windows to light the entire room. Once they were all open I glanced to the bed, which had heavy drapes masking where he lay. I pulled back the one closest to the window, then the one at the end of the bed. As I went to pull back the third (the head of the bed was pushed against the wall), I stopped.