Chapter Eleven

~Third person's POV~

"Your highness, it's not that I'm not grateful. I am, it's just I don't think I should go in."

Loki paused for what felt like the twentieth time on their walk down to the dining hall. "I've told you, it's just dinner. Nothing wrong will happen. The others know of your promotion, they won't question it. You just sit and eat. That's it."

Dahlia eyed the door, her panicked eyes betraying her calm breathing. "I don't see why I can't eat in the serving quarters like normal."

"You aren't allowed to leave my side." Loki pointed out.

"Well why can't we eat in your rooms then?" Dahlia pleaded, her fingers beginning to thread through each other as she felt the nerves begin to overwhelm her.

Loki took a step closer, "considering this is your first day not being my maid you've gotten awfully confident."

Dahlia blushed, looking down. "I'm sorry for forgetting my place, your highness."

Loki shook his head, "no. I like it, confidence suits you. Don't get me wrong, so does the nervous babbling, but the change is nice."

Dahlia pulled a face at him, as he took yet another step closer. He rested his hand on her shoulder, killing her plans of turning and making a run back down the corridor.

"Dahlia, why don't you want to go in there?" His voice was quiet, like his words would float away if a breeze passed between them. "It's not the food, or the fact it's with the rest of the palace..." Loki watched her face, ducking his head to watch as Dahlia blinked quickly. "You're worried about Fandral aren't you?"

Dahlia felt the grip tighten on her shoulder slightly as she nodded, her pinned back hair not letting her hide the blush from Loki. He took a step back, sighing.

Dahlia gulped "I'll eat in there if you want. It's just, I feel so awful! I rejected him and eating with you now, I just feel like I'm throwing it in his face. I didn't even lie and go all cliché: it's not you it's me; I'm not ready for the commitment. I just said no outright."

Loki let her rant as the corridor was still empty, and decided to risk being caught. He stepped forward and wrapped an arm around Dahlias shoulders, her ramblings cut short as she felt her head hit his hard chest. Loki waited a second, feeling her hands light on his back, before stepping away. He dropped his arms to his side, his eyebrow raised as Dahlia breathed slowly.

"Fine, we'll go and eat."

The odd pair walked into the dining hall, Loki's body tall and confident while Dahlia walked quickly, her head bobbing below his shoulder as she tried to keep up. He slid into his seat, looking pointedly at the empty place next to him for Dahlia to sit in. The table fell quiet as they looked at each other.

***

~Dahlias POV~

"Aren't you going to introduce us?" A short, fat man asked, his bearded head poked around the side of his goblet of wine.

Loki rolled his eyes, loading his plate with food as he answered, "this is Dahlia. Dahlia this is Volstagg," he gestured to the man, "Sif," he pointed to the fierce looking lady next to me, "and Hogun." Who was sitting in between Volstagg and Thor.

I watched Loki turn to look Fandral directly in the eye before muttering, "you've already met Fandral and Thor." Fandral squirmed under his gaze slightly, leaning to whisper something to Sif who stiffened in her seat next to me. I shot a glare at Loki, but before I could say anything, Thor and Hogun began arguing over sword fighting methods.