Chapter Seven

"Come here." Loki's voice called from his desk. I left the window I was currently staring out of and made my way over to him.

"Yes, your highness?" Loki lifted his head, a slightly odd expression on his face as he looked down to pick up a thick envelope.

"I am giving you today off. Here's a part of your pay, I believe you would enjoy the market, especially at this time of year." He held the envelope out, waiting for me to accept. Our fingers grazed over each other as I accepted it, quickly opening to see the contents.

"Your highness?" I was met with silence as Loki had already turned around and buried his nose in yet another pile of books. I gulped, "Prince Loki?"

At the mention of his name being spoken he looked up. "Yes, Dahlia?"

I silently groaned as I felt a slight heat colour my cheeks as he said my name. It wasn't uncommon for him to use my name, but nearly every single time he did I blushed! I don't know if it's a mix of his godly looks, or how it seems to roll of his tongue, but every time I want to run and hide my embarrassment.

"Your highness, I can't accept this." When I was greeted with a frown I continued, stumbling slightly over my words. "I haven't lived on Asgard nearly as long as Earth - I mean, Midgard - but even I know that this is a lot more than the maids pay."

Loki lifted an eyebrow, and I could feel my blush strengthen. "You're my personal maid. That's a higher position than a maid, we've been through this. And as your master I dictate your pay. Now go, do whatever you want, it's your day off."

I stood, staring in shock as he turned his back to me, leaving me with the surprisingly heavy envelope filled with my earnings. I nodded, though it was useless as he couldn't see me, and collected my coat on the way to the door.

***

"Maid! Dahlia, wait!" I slowed as I reached the front doors to the palace, turning to see Fandral jogging to my side. I bit back a sigh. It wasn't that I disliked Fandral, I'm sure he's a nice guy, it's just he always seemed too forward whenever we'd met. 

"My lord," I bowed my head in a sign of respect, hoping he wouldn't try and join me on my one day off.

"May I join you?" Well, so much for hoping.

"If you wish, my lord." I waited for him to begin walking, then grudgingly followed after, making our way into the bustling streets that led from the palace to the market place.

"How come you aren't with Loki today?" Fandral looked down at me, his eyes locked on my face as I turned to answer him.

"He gave me the day off, my lord." To spend alone, I had hoped.

"How lovely. And it is the market you seek?" I nodded quickly. Where was Thor when you needed him? At least he'd be able to distract Fandral for me.

"I'm surprised Loki gave you the day off. He doesn't normally give the maids holidays." My thoughts slammed to a halt as Fandral spoke. I wasn't sure why that resonated with me, but somehow it became the focus of my thoughts. I stayed quiet, unsure of any response that would make the conversation any less awkward.

"He seems quite taken with you." And the return of the blush, welcome back.

"I'm just the maid, my lord." I turned my attention to a small jewellery stand, where a glinting jewel had caught my eye as we'd walked past.

Fandral doubled back as I studied the small bracelet, falling in love with it the small gems the longer I looked at it. "Dahlia?"

"Yes, my lord?" I snapped my head back up as I realised I'd ignored him. At least if he were to complain about my behaviour, it would be to Loki instead of Matron. And as I'd been a little rude on my last interaction with Fandral, and Loki had laughed, I was comfortable there wouldn't be a huge punishment in store.