Chapter Twenty Four

Loki was up bright and early in the mornings. When I first met him I thought he wouldn't be - his dark clothes and sometimes moody persona reminded me of a hormonal teenager who would sleep into the early afternoon, but he wasn't like that at all.

He enjoyed his lie ins when he got them, but he liked to be kept busy, and that meant finding jobs to do from the moment he woke up to the moment he let himself relax in the evenings. He was also finding that I preferred to stay in bed, and my grumblings about waking up early were becoming more vocal by the day.

"Just five more minutes." I moaned, shoving my head into the pillow and yanking Loki's blankets up to cover my face.

"Maria will be here any moment for breakfast and if she sees you sleeping in my bed then there will be a scandal." Loki argued, tugging half heartedly at the corner of his bedding.

"What about that time I slept in your bed when I was still your maid? She probably saw that."

"When..? Dahlia you were resting after I tried to strangle you in my sleep!" Loki's exasperated cry made my head stick out of the blanket.

"Resting, sleeping... no difference really."

"Maria didn't see you that morning anyway, I made breakfast for you."

"What?" I sat upright, letting the blanket fall around my lap. "I don't think you did."

"I fetched the breakfast myself that morning. It was a part of my apology to you." His cheeks tinted a pale pink as he confessed, and I couldn't help the grin that tried to push my cheeks up.

"Aw, you liked me."

Loki cocked a brow, twisting to look at me from his seat on the edge of the bed. "I still like you."

I scrunched my face, looking to the side to hide the flush that fought its way up my neck.

"Dahlia, I do like you." Loki's voice hushed to a whisper, his breath hot against my neck as he leant closer. "So much." His lips fluttered lightly against my skin, causing my body to jolt and lean to the side. His nose tickled my jaw as he crept closer, his hand sitting beside my thigh as his body silently moved to straddle my outstretched legs.

Three resounding knocks brought the intimate moment to a slamming end, completed by a loud groan of annoyance by Loki, followed by a peck to the tip of my nose. "This will be resumed."

"Not if we're here."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

I shrugged his question away by sliding out of the bed and slipping into my bathroom, locking the door carefully behind me. I needn't have bothered; Loki respects my privacy and never probed me with questions, nor followed me once I entered my rooms.

The water heated up as I undressed, and I pondered over my words to him. It was true, Loki and I couldn't progress whatever we were if we were still here. We were constantly interrupted by Thor, the King and Queen or Maria, and that was still in what should have been the privacy of Loki's chambers.

We weren't able to be officially together in public, as it would be scandalous to not only have Loki courting without the express wishes and approval of the Allfather, but also as I was his Carer. Both of us were in positions of power - we could never agree on who had more authority; Loki as Prince or me as the Prince's Carer - But it would likely cause an outrage for us doing it behind closed doors.

On Earth, a similar story would likely have a similar reaction, though some romantics would find the beauty of a Carer and their Prince falling in love with one another. I often found myself fantasising over a future with him - whether it included royal duties or a more simple home life set up, in small apartment flats back home.

I knew it was wrong to dream about such things. Loki wouldn't be able to leave Asgard for Earth, and even if he could he wouldn't want to. Last time he was there he attempted to take over the planet, kill countless people and became a most wanted criminal in every country. Even if Thor were able to clear Loki's name, which would mean he would have to publicly announce he was brainwashed and manipulated, everyone on Earth would be angry and most likely violent against him.