Chapter Twenty Seven

"Feeling Midgardian today?" Loki asked as he left the bathroom, an eyebrow raised in faint amusement as he found me curled on the sofas.

I was wearing the grey T-shirt the Avengers had sent the day the Matron had been arrested. In my hands was the small book and next to me was the pile of chocolate bars, half eaten, that had also been delivered to me in the gym bag.

I just shrugged, and popped another square of Cadbury's in my mouth. "I am Midgardian."

Loki lowered himself onto the seat opposite me, with a slight air of curiosity. "Is there a reason why?"

I tried to blink back the wave of tears that threatened to appear, and shook my head. "Just felt a little homesick." The truth was, over the past few days I'd felt incredibly homesick. Every time someone mentioned Earth, which was quite often when people spoke to me, I felt a sudden longing to return home. I loved Loki and being with him, but Asgard was beginning to wear me down a little.

"What are you eating?" Loki asked after a long pause.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, and picked up the purple wrapped bar. "It's called chocolate." His face didn't change, and a grin overtook mine. "Come here." I put the book down and slid upright on the sofa, swinging my feet back down to touch the floor. Loki took the seat next to me, and waited as I peeled the wrapper back. I broke a square off, and offered it to him.

"What is chocolate?"

"That." I pointed to it, and laughed at his eye roll. "Just try it. It's so nice."

He hesitantly placed the square in his mouth, his lips closing around it. He watched my expression as he chewed slowly, his eyes not giving anything away.

"Do you like it?" I leant forward, hands clasped in my lap as he took a long sip of sparkling Asgardian juice.

"It's odd. Sweet, but not sweet." His brows furrowed, as he paused, and I could just see his tongue dart out to lick along his lip. "I think I like it."

I grinned, triumphant, and picked up the other bars that had previously been tied together with an elastic band. "If you like that, I can't wait for you to try these."

I broke a rectangle piece of a smoother chocolate with a gooey caramel filling. Loki's eyes widened as he bit down, and I watched as his eyes closed slowly. "These are delicious," he murmured. "Is it a local delicacy?"

I shook my head, amused at the foreign question. "No! Well, I don't know if it's sold everywhere on Earth but the countries I've been to all sell them. But it tastes different in different countries, because they use different quantities of the ingredients."

"What's your favourite chocolate?" Loki asked, already eyeing up a third bar that was sat unopened on the table. I moved the unopened bars back to the gym bag, knowing it may be a long time before I could possibly get any more.

"Oh, I don't know. There's way too many types." My mind drifted into a confectionary aisle of a supermarket, where a wall would be covered in every type of chocolate imaginable.

"We'll have to go to Midgard. I need to try more."

I stared at him, trying to deny the tears that threatened for the second time that morning. "Loki we can't have this conversation again. You can't leave Asgard."

"I'll find a way my love," he placed his hand by my hip, and leant over my legs to press a kiss to my forehead. "We will find a way to get you back home." I leant my head up, catching his lips before he had time to pull away.

The door opening caused Loki to throw a green shimmer away from us, masking our intimate position. He tilted his head back down to mine, but I rested a hand on his chest as I turned my head to see Thor stride into the room, with Maria following silently behind. Her cheeks were pink with a blush, but I couldn't see any reason why she should be.