A Christmas Tree Farm

Start from the beginning

The ride through the forest was longer than I remember it being, but the sing-along made the ride go by quicker. "You wanted to drive to the middle of the forest for our family bonding experience," Denny held his phone into the air. "There's no service out here."

Mom closed the car door, "Phones aren't required for bonding. I just got that thing fixed and you can't keep your hands off it."

She extended her hand, "If you don't put it up I will."

I twirled my scarf tighter around my neck, "We let mom choose where we went, and she took us to the boonies," I shivered.

"Give it a chance. I'm sure it will be fun." She had a pep in her step as she walked towards the entrance.

There was Redwood, Noble Fir, Grand Fir, Monterey Pine, Concolor Fir, and Douglass Fir. I knew this because those were all the trees listed on the festive brochure, they gave us.

"How are we supposed to get a tree home in our tiny Toyota," Denny whispered to me.

"Hopefully they do deliveries," I half shrugged.

Moms eyes glowed as she took in the sights around us. The snow blanketed the forest floor and the trees. White Christmas lights were strung up and holiday music filled the air.

"Would you like hot chocolate," mom pointed to where the booth was.

"Yeah, I think its colder in the forest," I could see the cold air in front of me. All three of us got hot chocolate and walked through the rows of trees.

"Did you want to buy a tree today," Denny wrinkled his nose.

"If one speaks to me," the crow's feet from the outer corners of her eyes made an appearance.

Scrunching his face he murmured, "They all kind of look the same."

She laughed at his remark, "You have to be creative. Imagine the lights, ornaments, star, and tinsel. Any of these would be absolutely splendid in our home."

Mom gasped, "Is that Hanson Moore? Oh, I haven't seen him in years. I will be right back. Don't go too far off without me," she chirped as she walked toward the bald man.

"She seems happy. It's good that she is enjoying this." Denny agreed, "Yeah, do you remember that guy?"

I cocked my head, "Should I."

Dennis and I followed the natural flow of the rows. "He owns that little farmer's market. I think they dated when they were younger."

I chewed the inside of my mouth. "No, mom and dad aren't even officially divorced. It's too soon."

Dennis put his hands up defensively, "I didn't say anything about that."

I partially opened my lips, "You implied it! I haven't even thought about the possibility of her dating. Do you think she would entertain any of that?"

"They're still talking," he raised one eyebrow.

Dennis has always been more protective of mom than I was. "Would you be okay if she did?"

He frowned slightly, "It wouldn't feel right, but she's been so unhappy recently. I just want her to be better, feel better, and act better."

I felt the same, but I didn't tell him. "So, are you planning on telling mom about you being-"

He sighed, "Not right now. She doesn't need any... unexpected news right now."

I pressed my cup to my lips, and then the warm liquid oozed down my throat. "It feels good to be with family, and out of the house with you. We don't hang out like we used too. When we do it's because of a family catastrophe."