{One Last Time}

The Cullens are all waiting in reception. Jasper jumps up the instant I come through the doors.

"Jordan, what happened? Are you alright?" He asks, checking me over with his eyes as he grasps my hands.

"It was Johnny," I confirm.

All of their faces drop, but Carlisle looks the most troubled. I give him a reassuring look.

"Don't worry. This was nothing to do with what you did," I say.

"How do you know?" Emmet asks.

I lead them from the hospital, not wanting anyone to overhear, and gather around the truck. Each of them peer at me curiously.

"I know, because of this," I say, showing them the spike.

"It was a boxer?" Rosalie says, frowning.

I nod, twirling the metal. "Yes. And, at the very least, I think I know who orchestrated the whole thing."

"Who is it then?" Jasper asks.

"A man named Marco Marone. He runs a huge illegal fighting ring in Texas, and is probably the only person I know of who would have the balls, or power, to kill a Martin without caring," I say.

"Why would he do it, though?" Carlisle asks.

"I don't know," I say, my lips pulling down in a worried frown. "But it can't be good."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jasper wanted to stay with me at the house, but I assured him I was fine, and needed some time to think.

Bella, of course, disappeared off with Edward. But not before checking I was okay and telling me off for practically stealing her truck.

I've been pacing for a while now. If I look down and see grooves I won't be surprised.

No matter how hard I think, or how fast I walk, I can't think of a reason Marco would kill Johnny. He most definitely would not do it because he hit me.

But my musing is cut short by the irritating sound of my phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"Loreley, it's so nice to hear your voice again."

The smooth, silky, completely untrustworthy voice is unmistakable.

"Marco," I say coldly, my hand clenching on the phone.

"I'm glad you remember me. It has been a while."

"What do you want?" I ask carefully.

How the hell can he just call me after he's murdered someone? I mean, I always knew he was a prick but this is taking the piss.

"You see, I've done you a favour, Scarlette. Now, in our...world, you know how favours work."

"May I ask what favour that would be?" I ask, trying to keep my tone as uninterested as possible, even though my heart feels like it might burst or stop altogether.

"Your little blond lover, of course. I heard he was causing some problems, so I decided to save you the trouble. Thank me later."

"That was pretty brave of you, Marco. How are you going to appease the Martins?"

"That's where you come in. As you well know, you must preform one task for me to clear your debt."

"I owe you nothing," I snarl, feeling the muscles in my back tense.

"If it weren't for me, you would be in jail. I saw what they had lined up. I would have been surprised if you saw daylight again before you died."