{Gratitude}

Unfortunately for Jasper, Charlie's phone call was him telling me to come home. So, while still being slightly wound up, he has to drive me home.

I shut off the music instantly, deciding that idly chatting with Jasper is much better for both of us.

When we pull up along side the house, I smile and grab my bag. "Thank you very much, Major. I will see you at school tomorrow."

He gently leans over to kiss me, and it takes my breath away. His taste fills my mouth as I move closer to him, losing the grip on my bag.

"I'll see you later, darlin'," Jasper says as he smirks.

I practically fall out of the car, blushing madly. I'm not sure what was different about that kiss to make me react like this. Maybe it was the heatedness, or the silent promise. But right now I'm just confused by my own brain.

Goodness, I'm starting to sound like Bella.

After waving goodbye to Jasper, I slip inside. The glow of the TV illuminates Charlie's sleeping form stretched out on the couch, so I try to be quiet as I ascend the stairs.

But he jerks awake and looks around as I bash my bag off the banister.

"Sorry..." I say, wincing at the noise.

"Oh, no. It's okay. I wanted to see you when you got back," he says.

Charlie heaves himself off the sofa and walks over, his brows pulled together, wrinkling his forehead. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah...I'm fine," I say.

"It's erm." He scratches his neck awkwardly. "Johnny Martin's parents might press charges."

My stomach drops into my toes. "Oh. Right. How bad is it?"

"Assault and battery..." he trails off.

"And I'm about to turn eighteen," I say, feeling a lump rise in my throat.

"It could be for a while, Jordan."

I sit on the stairs and let my head drop into my hands. "What options do I have?"

"To be honest? One."

"What is it?"

"Charge him for abuse, with Bella as witness," he says strongly.

"No, Charlie, no. I told you, I can't." I stand up quickly, feeling stress bubble up in my chest.

"Why not?" Charlie asks, frustration bleeding through in his heavy sigh as he leans on the banister.

"Because, he's Johnny Martin, only son of one of the most power families in Arizona," I say.

Charlie let's out a breath that ruffles his thick mustache, but recognition crosses his eyes. "The Martin's? He's their son?"

"Yeah," I say, glad that he's finally made the connection.

Seeing he isn't going to say anything else, I turn and go into my room, unintentionally slamming the door.

My go to position for this kind of bombshell stress is sitting underneath my open window with my head on my knees.

It takes me a minute of thinking 'how can I make this better? How can I stop feeling like everything is stopping?' to turn my brain on and remember.

"Erm, hey, Jasper...I know you've just dropped me off, but I really need to be with you right now. Could you come and get me? But, without the car so Charlie doesn't know?" I ask, feeling the pit in my stomach widening.