{Worth Gossiping About}

Jasper drives us to school in a sleek black Camaro, which hugs the curves of the roads and seems to float just above the tarmac. Not even the engine makes much noise.

Bella is with Edward in his silver Volvo, and Emmet, Alice and Rosalie are in a large jeep.

Jasper handles the car gracefully, if a little fast. But that's something Bella and I have noticed about all the Cullens. They like to drive fast. Especially Alice.

"Why do you go by your middle name?" He asks curiously.

By his tone, I can tell he has been wanting to ask for a while. I bite my tongue and shrug, looking out of the windshield as we soundlessly glide under the trees bent over the road.

They're dark green and covered in moss and ivy. They keep most of the rain out because of the canopy they have created, but occasionally a huge raindrop will hit the car.

"I've never really given it much thought, besides that it's not a name I ever thought suited me," I say.

"What is your full name?" He asks.

"Loreley Jordan Scarlette."

"Is Scarlette your biological father's name?"

"Yes. Renee makes me use it," I say distastefully.

"What last name would you like?"

I grin. "I'd be happy with Swan or Whitlock."

The car swerves on the road, but is quickly corrected. I glance at Jasper. He's holding the wheel tighter than before, and his eyes look wider.

"Really?" He asks calmly, as if it is of no importance.

"Yeah," I reply.

He nods to himself and continues to school. I wonder what he's thinking, then remember Edward's a telepath.

When we arrive, Bella's usual group of friends are hanging out near the black van that nearly hit us.

As they get out, Edward puts her arm around Bella and Grins brightly. Everyone stops to stare, except for one boy.

Jasper chuckles and is by my door in an instant, holding his hand out. "Shall we give them something really gossip worthy to gawk at, darlin'?"

I take his hand and we walk over together, as close as humanly possible.

Jessica sees first, and gasps loud enough for the entire parking lot to hear her. I think it made Jasper wince.

People stare, almost unblinking, as we head up to the stairs, then start whispering not-so-subtly.

"What are they saying?" I ask quietly.

"Mostly things about their lack of understanding, and a few about how nice it is I've let someone in--I like that Angela girl--then one or two wondering how you could be with such a-"

"I don't need to hear that last bit," I say coldly.

"It's alright, sweetheart. I have been called much worse," he says, and drapes his arm over my shoulders in an attempt to be closer to me.

"That really doesn't help, Jaz," I half laugh.

"Very well. Maybe this will help," he says, and kisses my cheek.

Heat floods my face so I bury it in his shoulder, where I can hear his laugh rumble. But my smile fades when I realise our rota.

"What's wrong, Jordan? Your mood just dropped about a foot," he asks.