{Already Yours}

I gently move my hands to his jaw, and put a bit of pressure on it.

If I'm going to be honest, this is the most intense, passionate kiss I've ever had. But I can't really breathe.

Jasper snaps out of whatever trance he was in, and pulls back, his hands loosening on my waist.

I take a deep breathe and smile. "You're a good kisser too, then."

He doesn't reply. I can feel how rigid he's gone under my hands. That's not what I expected.

I open my eyes, and Jasper's jaw is clenched so hard I can see the muscle outlined. But that's not the worrying part. His eyes, which were a mellow honey mere seconds ago, are now nearly black.

"Jasper," I say, letting my hands fall. "Did I do something wrong?"

His chest is rock still. A serious concentration takes over his face as he speaks carefully.

"No, you didn't. Don't worry. That..." he smiles. "Was amazing."

"Then what's wrong with you?" I ask.

His smile dims a bit. "To be honest, it's difficult to say. But, could I have a few minutes?"

"Of course. I'll wait downstairs." I walk around him and leave the room, hating that I feel a bit disappointed.

Edward and Bella are gone, but Emmet and Rosalie are still sitting on the couch with Carlisle and Esme.

"Is Jasper alright?" Esme asks.

I bite my lip. "I'm not sure."

"What happened?" Carlisle asks.

"Well...um," I stutter, going red. "I kissed him."

Emmet grins evily, and I shoot him a warning glare.

"But...after...his eyes...they were almost black," I say.

Carlisle frowns. "That is strange."

Alice flits into the room. "But he held his cool?"

"Yeah. He sent me down here for a minute," I say.

She beams. "That's amazing! Carlisle, did you hear that? He managed to control himself!"

Carlisle smiles and nods at Alice. "Yes. This is a massive step for Jasper."

"I'm afraid I don't quite understand," I say.

"Well," Carlisle begins. "Out of all his adoptive siblings, Jasper has always struggled the most with his thirst. Because he spent so long drinking human blood, the transition to animal has been rough for him."

"And you're his blood singer!" Alice exclaims. "Just like Bella is for Edward."

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"Mostly, that your blood almost literally sings to him. No other human's blood is like that for him. It will smell sweet and attracting, like nothing else he's ever smelt before," Carlisle says.

"So, he should have ripped my throat out there," I say.

"No, he shouldn't have. But it takes a lot of strength for a vampire to resist that strong a pull. And Jasper has had certain troubles with that," Carlisle says.

"But he wouldn't hurt you," Esme says.

"I know. Can I ask something else?"

Carlisle nods for me to continue.

"What does thirst feel like to you?" I ask carefully.

"Most of us agree that it is like a burning feeling in the throat. Depending on how long it has been since you've fed, it can be worse. The colour of our eyes tend to give it away," he says.