Here's A Little Advice (Not So Short)

Start from the beginning

EastsideJah: They ask whatchu do to numb pain? Get high 💨

Although he looked fine as hell, I was annoyed by his caption. That was his problem. From the looks of it, it didn't seem like he took anything I said into consideration. But then again, I wouldn't know because I hadn't seen or talked to him. Like always, I was drowning myself in work, barely getting any sleep. Not hearing from him was weighing heavy on my mind but I wanted to give him that space.

"Babygiiirlll." I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn't hear my parents come in. "What are you guys doing here?" I stood from the couch to help them in. "It's cold as shit out there." My father shook a bit, pulling his gloves off. "Mi God." My mother complained as she blew into her hands. "My birthday isn't until two days." I said. "Baby mi push yuh out, mi kno." Mommy laughed. "We came early because the snow might get worse and we've never missed a birthday." Daddy informed.

"I won't be here on my birthday." Jabri hadn't said anything about cancelling the trip, so we were still going. I didn't know where we were going, but we were going. Talking or not, this was for my birthday. "Weh yuh deh going?" Mom asked as she went over to wash her hands. It didn't take her long to get comfortable, she was already lighting the stove to make tea.

"Surprise trip...Jabri is taking me." I smiled. "You do know that if you come back pregnant, I'll have to shoot him." Daddy threatened with a straight face. "Kofi." Mommy warned in her infamous tone. "It's true." He shrugged off her stare. "Daddy, we are not even having sex." I lied straight through my teeth. Sex. Great damn sex that I had been deprived of for five days. I knew he was mad, but he couldn't be that mad.

He knew I needed to be on his face five days ago.

"Good. Keep it that way." Mommy and I stole glances at each other because she knew I was lying. She wouldn't give me up though. "Weh he?" Mommy asked, instantly making my somber mood come back. "He's not talking to me." I admitted. "What did you do?" Daddy emphasized. "Maybe I should just talk to mom about it." I bit my lip nervously.

"We're both here...you might need both sides." Daddy inquired smoothly. "What's wrong baby?" Mommy came over with a cup of tea for me. She sat beside my dad and put her feet in his lap, giving me her undivided attention. "I called a break and now I think I've pushed him away. I thought I was making the right decision but now he's not answering me." I was getting worked up again.

"What happened?" Daddy asked, making me swallow hard. I didn't want to reveal Jah's demons to him because then he might think I was in trouble. But I had to be honest to get the advice I was looking for. "Jabri is having a hard time facing his demons, so he's been using drugs; percs specifically, to cope. When I asked him about it, he lied to me twice. It's just been really hard to get him to open up. He feels that I'll judge him and leave, but I haven't. So, he pushes me away because he thinks he doesn't deserve me." I spoke all at once.

"Just like yuh fada." Mommy was the first to say something. "We never told you all this but your mother witnessed me end someone's life. I won't get into details but, just like you...she had a choice to stay or leave. Clearly, she chose to stay but she also changed the way I went about things." I knew my father had done some things but hearing him say it, brought chills to my body.

Why did Kofi Morgan have to be so honest?

"That's when I separated that life from the one I was building with your mother. The difference is, I feel no sympathy for people that do harm to family or business. So, dwelling on it isn't something I do. Sage catching me is what shook me the most. I was worried about her leaving me too because she had saw me in a rage. So, I get where he's coming from." Daddy explained in debt. "Us men have too much pride and ego. You can tell us one thing but we hear something else, that's just how we work." He shrugged, making me roll my eyes.