12. The Proof

Narrator's POV

|Sunday|

"C'mon Freaky, I know you fucking with me right now." Jah grumbled as he slowly pushed himself up on the bed. He hadn't been able to sleep all night, and he had to get up soon. After him and Rai's talk, he went back to get Lex from his mom's before they returned home. Unlike Jah, Lex was snuggled up against him, out like a light. Smoothly, he lifted her small arms from around him and slid out of bed.

Making sure to keep quiet, he left from the room and went into the living room. He sat on the couch with his blunt and lighter in his hand, ready to zone out. He was reminiscing on all the moments him and his cousin had together. Knowing he couldn't be here with him pained him every day. But it seemed to be a lot harder to take on the day of the actual anniversary.

"I can't zone out like I want to cuz, I got shit to do today." He said aloud with a small chuckle. He knew that he wouldn't be able to celebrate his traditional way, so he took this time to talk to his favorite cousin. "Shit changed Lik, ya boy working a 9 to 5 now." He chuckled a little as he blew smoke from his nose. "I'm painting and shit, it's cool for now. I got my first show tomorrow; well today, in a few hours. I ain't gon' hold you, a nigga nervous as hell bro. This shit new, I gotta talk to people and shit, share my view on art and allat. It's crazy." He paused again to re-light his blunt.

"I'on know if I'ma stick with it though. I got offered a position at the rec too. I'm thinking about taking that, might just do both, fuck it." He shrugged. "Oh yeah, I'm kinda fucking with a shorty too. A lil chocolate, thick, pretty face, smart ass shorty. Smart as in smart ass mouth too, on her petty shit. She got a fucking twin too, yo!" He laughed aloud and shook his head, before leaning back on the couch. This was a venting moment for him, just talking as if Malik was there to respond. His mind was clouded with 'would ifs' and 'how comes' as he reminisced on his life over the past few years.

"Her sister getting married though bro, so it's quiet. Remember them twins from 1st Ave? Been was supposed to kill they shit, they mad dusty now though bro. Mad dusty." He repeated. "I'on know what I'm doing right but bro keep watching over me. Keep me grounded and on the right path, tell Grandma I love her too. Now let my ass go to sleep, I'ma slide thru later to see you." He finished his blunt just as he ended his speech, placing the roach in the ashtray. He cleared his throat and coughed a little before standing and heading back to his room to hopefully get some sleep.

--

Couple Hours Later.

"Daddy, can I go with you?" Lex asked as she walked into the bathroom where Jah stood in the mirror brushing his hair. "I gotta work baby, can you chill with Grandma until then?" He turned to her pouty face. He hated seeing her upset. Picking her up, he placed her on the counter in front of him and flicked at her hair. "Are you coming back?" He answered with a nod. "Yeah, I'ma come back and get you then we can hang out for a lil while, cool?" He smiled. "Cool." She smiled as Jah helped her down. "You know how to tie your shoes yet?" He noticed her shoe strings out of place, so he figured he would ask.

"No, I'm too small." Her cute little voice stated as she looked up at him. He chuckled and placed her back onto the counter before tying her shoes. Moments like these Jabri wondered about sometimes. During him and Ashlee's time together, he always thought about what his child would be like. He thought about how she'd act, the sound of her voice, what type of attitude she'd have. Lex may not have been his, but she had some similar qualities of his that made him smile.

"All done. You ready to go see Grandma?" He asked as she hopped down from the counter. He cleaned up after himself before proceeding to the room to gather what he needed to leave the house. He arrived at his moms in no time, dropped Lex off and headed to the gallery where the art show was being held. Unlike any other morning, Jabri decided not to roll his morning spliff. He was feeling anxious and he knew that he was about to be around lots of people. He couldn't smell of marijuana during first impressions. Showing up at work high was different and he felt more comfortable with Mrs. Reign. So, he knew that he had to hold off a little while longer.