09. What Friends Are For

Sarai' Morgan

Sarai' Morgan

"What the hell happened?!" I repeated into the phone again. Just that quick, my mood had changed. I was concerned, scared and pissed all in one. This shit always seemed to happen. Whenever Q got into trouble, he'd call me. And like the good best friend I was, I dropped everything and ran to him.

Glancing over at Jah, I noticed he was looking back at me with his eyebrows drawn together and his eyes slightly squinted. "You good?" He mouthed. Nodding, I held up my finger and exited the jeep. I leaned against it as I waited for Q to speak. "Lay...I-I'm being accused of something I didn't do. I'm at Rugford Correctional Facility...I-I need you." He cried into the phone, making my heart beat fast. He sounded scared. For as long as I've known Q, he's never been afraid of anything. Hearing him sound so helpless on this phone was making me sad.

"I-I don't understand...what happened?" I stuttered a little. "I have to stay here until my court date...which is in 2weeks. They won't even give me bail. I just want to see you, can you fly out?" He pleaded. "No bail?! Quenton, what are the charges?" I was growing impatient because he was beating around the bush. He was telling me without actually telling me and it was starting to get on my nerves. I couldn't help him if I didn't know what he needed help with.

"6 seconds." The automated voice system cut in to let us know our time was running out. "I can't explain everything to you right now Lay. I promise I'll let you know everything when you get here. Love you, gotta go." He hurried off the phone before the dial tone sounded. Sighing, I threw my head back and let out a harsh breath. Now I have to call his mother and father to figure this out. I'm sure they know what's going on.

"Everything straight?" Jah asked when I re-entered the jeep. "Y-yeah everything's fine, just a family emergency." I half lied. Technically, Q was family to me because I've known him for so long. By the way I reacted to the phone call, I'm positive that Jah would believe that this was a family matter. "You sure? I ain't tryna be in ya business or no shit like that but you ain't sound straight on the phone. You gotta get somewhere right now?" He was concerned and I found it cute. I didn't want to discuss Q with him though and I was hoping that he didn't press the issue. Even though I was slowly letting my guard down with Jah, I still felt some guilt.

I hadn't been 'intimate' with anyone since Q and now that I somewhat am with Jah, it feels weird. Like, I'm doing Q wrong. Hell, both of them. Knowing that they both; especially Q, wants more than what I'm offering but yet I'm acting as if it means nothing. Me and Q's situation was different though and I found myself more confused every time I thought about it.

"We can finish our night out, I'll just deal with it tomorrow. I'm up on vacation time so I have time to take care of that." I assured him with a light smile. "You sure? You can drop me off if you need to." He asked again. I nodded and leaned over the console to peck his lips. I love kissing him now! He was great at it too! Of course he couldn't take the innocent peck so we ended up making out again. "Don't be kissing me just to shut me up. You ain't low." He chuckled as we pulled apart. I laughed and put my seatbelt on before pulling off. "That's not what I'm doing. I just like kissing you." I admitted. "Oh word? You like kissing a nigga?" He got cocky as I rolled my eyes playfully. "All you do is roll ya eyes, them shits gon' get stuck in ya head." He laughed.