Chapter 31: Breaking Free

Start from the beginning

Rory had been driving for an hour and was just about to make a bathroom stop when the traffic suddenly began to slow down. Sirens in the distance indicated there must have been an accident. Immediately Rory's thoughts went to Logan! Pulling over, she tried his number again but again there was no answer.

"I can't just assume he has had an accident.... that's ridiculous! There are so many people on the road....just pull yourself together!" Rory told herself firmly as the traffic began to move.

Moments later, she breathed a sigh of relief when she passed the car wreck and didn't see Logan's car there.

"What is the matter with me?" Rory shook her head as she continued to travel to York. "I have to stop thinking the worst!"

Meanwhile Logan had arrived in York and had gone straight to the office to see Matt. His friend knew there was something wrong the moment he saw him and sent up a quick prayer for wisdom!

"I take it things didn't go as planned?" Matt began, hoping everything was okay with Rory and the babies. "So Rory didn't come back with you? Is she alright?"

"I ...... didn't actually stay to find out..." Logan said realising how bad that sounded but continued to explain. "When I drove up to her house, she was with Dean.... that was the first guy she had a relationship with and the one she asked for when she woke from the coma... it looked like that was probably the news.... they were embracing right there in front of me!......All the way to Stars Hollow I had been imagining Rory in my arms but there she was with him! .....I don't know whether I can keep fighting!"

"But wasn't that guy married.... with three kids and one on the way?" Matt asked recalling the details that had been shared with him before. "I can't imagine he would leave his wife right now!"

"He's done it before to be with Rory... and the worst thing is that this 'going to Stars Hollow thing' was my idea!" Logan lamented. "I can't believe I just pushed them together!"

"Then why was she wanting to come back to York?" Matt asked seeing flaws in Logan's reasoning.

"Probably to pack up her things!....Oh I don't know!" Logan said running his hands through his hair and turning to head back to his own office. "I can't do this... it's killing me now that I've seen her with that guy...."

"Logan we prayed about this yesterday and I think you've just got to have a little more faith in God.... and in Rory too!" Matt concluded, leaving Logan to think while he attended to a call in his office.

Rory arrived in York a little while later and although she was very tired from the trip, she decided to call in at the York Weekly to see when she could get back to work. She had come to the conclusion that as much as she wanted Logan, she couldn't rely on him and she just needed to get on with her life. Her mother's independent lifestyle suddenly looked more and more appealing to her!

It felt good to walk through the doors to her office. The familiar smell of the paper seemed to calm Rory somewhat as she headed toward Matt's office. She remembered how great he had been as a boss and that they really got on very well.

"Hey Katie, could I see Mr Morgan if he's free?" Rory asked politely.

"Of course Rory, it's so good to see you..... you remembered my name!" Katie exclaimed feeling very special.

"Mr Morgan, Rory Gilmore is here to see you...." Katie announced at Matt's door.

Matt jumped up straight away, very surprised that Rory would be visiting the office.

"Rory.... you're looking very well!" Matt said genuinely, coming to give her a hug.

"Well I am so much better than when you visited me in the hospital!" Rory replied. "And I'm pleased to tell you that my memory has finally returned and I am sure I'll be okay to get back to work.... in fact I want to get back to work.... I really need it with all the hospital bills and two babies on the way!"