Chapter 19

Blake

My alarm rings and I slam it with my fist, turning it off. I'm surprised the thing hasn't broken down yet.

Before I can even get out of my bed, my mom enters my room, without knocking, as usual. I've asked her to knock before entering countless times before, but she just doesn't listen.

"Sweetie, get up. You'll be late to pick up Lia to school." She softly chastises then leaves the room. I told her yesterday I'm picking up Lia, and she already assumes I'm doing it today, too. I mean, I plan to, but knowing how stubborn Lia is, I'm pretty sure she will just leave before I can even reach her house. But I don't tell my mom that, seeing as she seems to like the idea of me taking my girlfriend to school.

After I'm done with my morning routine, I head downstairs, where my breakfast is already waiting for me on the table. What I'm surprised to see, though, is my dad sitting at the table. He usually goes to his office early then heads off to work before I'm up.

"Morning, dad."

"Good morning, son. You should hurry or you and Lia will be late to school." He tells me, and my mouth drops.

"Mom!" I whine. Why did she tell him that?

"What? I'm just happy to see you become such a responsible young man. I wanted to share the good news." I groan in annoyance at that. Of course she told him.

"I can see Lia has a great influence on you. I'm impressed." My dad says, taking a sip of his coffee.

I sit down at the table and my mom puts a glass of juice in front of me before leaving a kiss on the top of my head and sitting at the table with us. I honestly didn't think that this whole dating thing would cause such a change in my family's life. My cold and angry father suddenly became my dad. A shared meal with my parents stopped being a form of punishment and an excuse to chew me out. And it's all thanks to the girl I haven't even noticed until recently. It's been barely weeks since this whole charade started and so much has changed already.

I enjoy the breakfast with my parents, talking about anything and everything. I've never imagined I would enjoy having small talk with my dad, but now? We just can't seem to lose topics to talk about. We, surprisingly, have a lot in common. Who would've thought that my dad shared my interests?

Our little comfortable moment is interrupted by my mom.

"Blake, sweetie, it's getting late. Lia is probably waiting for you." I nod at her, even though I know she's not. That girl is too stubborn for her own good.

"I'll get going then. Can't keep her waiting." I laugh as I get up.

"Leave it. I'll take care of that." My mom says once I grab my empty plate, but I ignore her and take the dishes to put them in the sink.

"Bye mom, bye dad." I wave at them as I leave, getting a quick "Bye honey" in response. I haven't done that since I was a kid.

The drive to school was faster than usual, but Lia still beat me. I see her Challenger in the parking lot, meaning she's already here. It's still fucking early, why is she already at school?

I see her rummaging through her locker, obviously angry, if the frown on her face is anything to go by. Did something happen?

I walk up to her and wrap my arms around her waist from behind, careful of her ribs, getting only an eye-roll from her. I guess she's gotten used to me touching her by now. The first time I hugged her from behind, I got a bruise on my ribs from her elbow. Then she just glared at me, but now all I get is an eye-roll. Progress!