Chapter 9: Meeting My Match

What would I do now? I was pacing within my room like my limbs were on fire. Well, they would be literally on fire if I were a vampire. However, I wasn't a vamp. I was nothing. A human. Weak.

"Mom?"

It was the first time in years I had ever spoken the word. Mom. Yet she wasn't there. No one was there. Just like last time. Just like forever.

"Mom, I heard you're..." My lips were parched. "Mom, I just wanted to say, I'm happy for you. All will be well." The awkward silence continued and losing my courage, I hung up before anyone would actually pick up and talk.

Sighing I stood by my bed yet again and gazed up at the mirror. My hair was braided down. My eyes were the same deathly brown. My skin the warm soot. The only difference? I was fat. I was short. I had serious curves which my Mom would never even dream of.

Still I loved. Still I was loved back. Right now, when I looked outside, Charlie's cruiser would be missing. Soon enough though...it would be a permanent addition to my parking lot...

Another sigh and I was out of my bedroom and moving downstairs towards my garage to get into my jag and take it out towards the highway. I needed a long drive. And if I could some seriously strong sleeping pills.

Headache...body ache...what did it matter now? I knew what was about to happen and it would be unpleasant to say the least. I'd rather let it die than become bittersweet.

Thus, my late-night visit to Port Angeles. The Pharmacy wasn't nearly stacked or polished in Forks. And knowing my temper I would've gone off the rails.

I had left a note for Charlie to read. He'd find out soon enough with all the flourish right beside it. Images of a wedding day massacre kept me calm while I shopped the isle.

Sleeping pills...sleeping pills...

Bella?

I barely kept it together to not speak while searching through the milieu of stupidities and inadequacies. It would take time. It always took time for me to heal.

"Hey, uhm..."

The voice was unpleasant with a tad mixed in oiliness and disgust. When I looked up to him...

"Well?"

I was impatient. My mood was shit. I would be biting his head off soon enough. He needed to get away or else. He fidgeted and then finally in a lightning fast move kissed my lips. It was quick enough to catch me off guard.

Afterwards he just went about towards another isle. I took a minute to compose myself and then went after him. My Dad's police senses gave me good practice for being covert about my appearance.

I looked and saw what it was. Betting...Teenagers...Booze...and surprisingly drugs...

Bella?

They will pay.

I took a step back and cracked my joints. It was time. Good. I needed a moment.

__________________________________

"You okay Mama?"

One last time. One last time I took a swig and it was done. The store clerk eyed me with fear before taking a step towards the mess on the floor. Edward was currently talking with the Police who were a chaotic bunch overwhelmed with depression and a dash of fury.