Chapter 7: Charlie's Tears

My eyes moved around to see if anyone else was there. No. When I looked him over, he seemed serious. My throat felt parched but I did nothing but stare at him, incredulous.

"You want me to be your girlfriend?"

I didn't want to believe it. I didn't. Surely...

"Yes." There was no hesitation in his voice. "I want us to be a couple."

My eyes narrowed. "Why so suddenly?"

In response he sighed with his body slumping down significantly. He had told me he had a rare genetical disease which made him vulnerable to anything and everything. Despite this...my heart sank.

"Edward?" I said and his eyes met mine. Their deep amber had diluted significantly making me even more nervous than before. But my resolve was stronger.

Edward's eyes were twinkling with tears and I felt my heart break with every word.

"I will be your girlfriend. But, are you sure?"

He blinked. "Yes. I'm sure. I'm just not sure if you're serious or not."

His voice held some odd emotion I was feeling a bit wary of. Still, I was resolved. Not to mention, my curiosity was piqued.

"I'm sure." I said. My voice was firm. "I will be your girlfriend."

He smiled and my stomach flip flopped. "Thank you."

"But..." I said and his eyebrows narrowed. "You have to promise me a couple of things."

His face was skeptical. Oh well, he knew how I felt then. Deserving punishment.

"What are those?"

I shrugged. "Oh, nothing special. I just have to introduce you to my Dad and believe me he's deadly. I also have to meet with your family if I'm going to be your 'girl' friend. Plus," I looked him straight in the eye. "I need to know the truth. What aren't you telling me, Edward?"

My instincts were on point and when I turned them against Edward Cullen, they were giving me mixed signals along with an odd vibe which made it difficult for me to pinpoint what the truth was.

Edward measured me up while I stood my ground. Today's talk be damned. Our similar interests and my relief be damned. Even if I remained friendless...damned be all the emotional and psychological consequences. I wanted to know the truth. And I won.

"O—Okay. I—

He sighed. "I will tell you."

My eyes narrowed. "You're good with all of this?"

I wasn't sure if he was lying or not. He was very smooth about it. Then I saw his spastic hands and my conscience rested with the victory while Edward nodded affirmatively.

"All right by me." I smiled and gave him my hand. "Deal."

He looked a bit nervous but I felt safe with the knowledge he was. Nervous was better than lying in my book. And I never did anything outside of my rules...most of the time.

"So," I winked. "Wanna make out?"

His eyes turned to saucers but his composure was back quickly. "Only if you're up for it." With those words we laughed our hearts out and started towards my house for a family dinner meeting.

Charlie was in for one hell of a surprise.

Yes, he was. And I smiled knowingly at Edward before turning the key to my house.