E X P E C T A T I O N S

Point of View: Logan, Third Person
Timeline: Flashback (cont.

"I apologize," Dee cleared his throat, nervously fixed his yellow bow tie.  "Is this too much?"

Logan took a hesitant sip from his drink, eying the empty restaurant around them.  Apparantly Dee was a lot richer than he had implied last week, as he managed to reserve the entire restaurant for just the two of them.  All the workers were in the corner, trying not to stare.

"A bit," Logan admitted honestly.

"My apologies," Dee said again.  "I just... wanted our first date to be..."

"Memorable?" Logan suggested.

"Perfect," Dee decided.

The silence between them was awkward and borderline unnerving.  Logan cleared his throat.  "So, if you don't mind me asking of course, do you wear those yellow gloves all the time?"

Dee glanced down at his gloves, as if noticing them for the first time.  "For the most part," he supplied.  "I was quite the germaphobe growing up.  It reached the point where it started interferring with my daily life, so my mother bought a pair of yellow gloves for me.  But I finished cognitive behavioral therapy quite some time ago and now I wear them mostly out of habit," Dee explained.

"Oh," Logan smiled weakly.  "Good to know."

Dee hesitated.  "I'm sorry," he apologized - again - turning his face away from Logan.  "I'm just nervous and I... don't know what to say."

"Well," Logan said thoughtfully.  "What do you know want to know about me?"

Dee looked up, narrowing his eyes at Logan.  Logan couldn't deny that it didn't unnerve him slightly, it was as if Dee was disecting his brain and looking around for information just by looking at him.  "Tell me about your roomates," he decided finally.  "You could very easily live on your own, so why do you stay with all of them?"

"Because they're my friends," Logan returned simply.  "And yes, I could very easily live without them, but they need me," Logan paused.  "Why do you ask?"

Dee shrugged.  "Just curious."

...

"You know what? We don't have to stay," Dee stood up abruptly, as if preparing to leave.  "We can leave and - and we can go wherever you want, we can do anything," Dee offered, wearing an almost pained expression.

Logan winced, remaining seated.  "No, no, this is... fine, it's fine.  We can stay, unless you would rather leave," he offered in return.

"No, I just - " Dee exhaled in frustration, sitting back down.  "I'm sorry, I'm just really, really anxious and you're smart and handsome and I'm just... nevermind.  I'm sorry for rambling," Dee closed his eyes and took a deep breath, sitting back down.  He folded his yellow-gloved hands and rested his elbows on the table before speaking.  "I'm just really, really happy that it's you.  I like you, Logan.  I like you... a lot," Dee shifted his weight between his two feet, nervously.  "And I don't want to mess this up.  I know I'm not who you expected and I don't want you to be... disappointed, that it's me."

"If it bring you any consolation," Logan started slowly.  "I'm nervous too.  I'm a 24 year old man who has never so much as been on a date in his entire life.  I'm flattered that you think so highly of me, but it is not necessary.  And trust me, I am not disappointed."

Dee looked surprised.  "Really?"

Logan smiled.  "Really."
___________________