K N O W L E D G E

Point of View: Logan, Third Person
Timeline: Flashback (cont.)

Logan couldn't hold back a smile as Dee talked more about his family. Had they really been talking for over four hours?

Dee, like himself, was also interested in the pursuit of knowledge and higher education. Logan found out that Dee was currently still in college - he came from a rich family and was using his share to pursue many different different trains of knowledge. Psychology, Computer Science, and History.

"So tell me - what's the deal with your family? They've got to be quite proud of everything you've accomplished," Dee commented.

"Not exactly," Logan sighed. "My father is... well, he is proud of what I've done, but he doesn't understand the value of education. He dropped out of school to work on my grandparents farm before he reached 5th grade. And he made his way, never getting a college education. He thinks that college has lost it's value, seeing how expensive it is."

Dee frowned. "Knowledge is a powerful, multi-purpose tool that is instrumental in solving any problem. I won't lie and say that college isn't overly expensive, but the benefits of having a good education are undeniably priceless."

"Precisely," Logan agreed. "As for my mother," Logan exhaled harshly at just the thought of her. "Well she did not appreciate me being gay. I'm not exactly on speaking terms with her at the moment."

"Would you want to be?"

"Pardon?"

"Would you want to be on speaking terms with her?" Dee clarified. "You don't exactly seem... devestated, not having her in your life."

"Perhaps, if she was willing to change," Logan acknowledged. "But it is in my experience that it is easier to let toxic people go, rather than expect them to change."

"Interesting," Dee hummed.

Silence bounced between the two of them, both lost in their thoughts. Logan glanced around, looking to find Virgil, who was sitting down at a table on his phone by the door. Logan checked his phone, noticing that Virgil's shift had just finished.

"Well, it's been nice getting to know you properly," Logan said, glancing over at Virgil. "But I'm afraid it's time for me to leave," he said, getting to his feet.

Dee nodded, standing up with Logan. "I agree, it's been an excellent experience getting to know you better. And..." Dee hesitated, making Logan pause in his movements. "And based on that, I'm going to hope that you will not be offended, but would you be interested on going out on a date with me sometime?" Dee finished, suddenly appearing shy, taking a hesitant half-step back.

Logan took a step back himself, suddenly uneasy. "But your soulmate...?"

Yes, some people still decided to date once they knew their soulmate but the odds were microscopic. Logan couldn't name one person who dated someone other than their soulmate, at least after their 25th birthday.

"Ah, yes. About that," Dee pulled off one of his yellow gloves, setting it on the bar counter. "I was going to wait until we ran into each other again, but now seems as good as a time as any," he said, rolling up his sleeve and holding his wrist out to Logan.

Logan squinted at the name, almost not able to read the dark, curly script before his jaw dropped at the name of Dee's soulmate.

Logan Sanders

____________________