D A T E

Point of View: Patton, Third Person
Timeline: Flashback (cont.)

"Oh, where are you going, Lo?" Patton asked, looking up from the massive pile of papers spread out on the coffee table in front of him.  "It's getting pretty late."

"I'm... actually going on a date tonight," Logan confessed sheepishly, nervously fiddling with his tie.

Patton felt his heart lurch but managed to keep himself composed.  He noticed Logan's nervous fidgetting and stood, walking over.  "Logan?" He asked tentatively, gently grabbing Logan's trembling hands.

"Patton, I'm really, really scared," Logan blurted out, his voice small and vulnerable.  His eyes squeezed shut and he gripped onto Patton's hands tightly.

"Hey," Patton squeezed Logan's hands slightly in reassurance.  "You're gonna be fine," he encouraged.

"I - I never went on dates in high school or college, gosh Patton I'm a 24 year old man who has never been on a single date in my whole life," Logan rambled anxiously.  "And I'm - I'm terrified that I'm going to... mess this up.  I'm worried that I'm going to get it all wrong..."

"Logan," Patton murmured, doing his best to ground him.  "Look at me."

Logan hesitantly opened one eye, quickly scanning Patton's face.

"You're about to go on a date with a handsome guy," Patton let go of Logan's hands and fixed Logan's tie.  "And not just any guy, but your soulmate - the man the universe has handpicked for you," Patton smiled brightly.  "No matter what happens, it will be absolutely perfect because the both of you will be together."

Logan nodded slowly, starting to get a grip on himself.

Patton smiled.  "And I'm pretty sure he's just as nervous as you, okay?"

"Y-Yeah, okay," Logan took a deep breath.  "Thank you, Patton.  I'm sorry that I - "

"You have nothing to apologize for," Patton smiled.  "Now," Patton took a step back.  "Go out there and have a great night."

Logan nodded.  He took one last deep breath before leaving, closing the door behind him.

...

"Patton - "

"Please don't," Patton interrupted softly, closing his eyes.  "Please, you promised me you wouldn't say anything to him."

"Well that was before I saw how you look at him," Virgil came out of his hiding spot.  He was frowning and his arms were across his chest.  "Patton, you have to tell him."

"Telling that I love him after he's found his soulmate?" Patton shook his head, trying to push past Virgil to head back to his room.  "No, telling Logan that I love him would be cruel and only cause trouble."

Virgil caught Patton's arm holding him in place.  "But Patton - "

"But nothing," Patton interrupted gently.  "The facts are that Logan has his soulmate.  And when my birthday comes around, I'll have mine," Patton pried Virgil's hand off of him.  "So telling him about my crush... it wouldn't do anybody any good.  So please, don't say anything."

Virgil sighed defeatedly, shoving his hands deep into his hoodie pockets.  "I won't.  But I hope that you will."

"I'm not gonna tell him, Virge," Patton walked towards the stairs.

"But - "

"Virgil, you promised," Patton reminded him, closing his eyes and gripping the railing hard enough to make his knuckles go white.  "Please, just stop."

And at that, Virgil did stop.  He moved, standing next to his motionless friend on the stairs.  He wrapped his arms around him and Patton fell into them easily, sobbing into the comfort of Virgil's soft hoodie.

"It - It just hurts so much - "

"Shh," Virgil murmured, rubbing Patton's back comfortingly.  "I know it does, I know..."
____________________