xxix.

leather dreams | chapter twenty nine
___

leather dreams | chapter twenty nine___

___

That morning, Rosalie woke up with a strange sensation on her stomach. She wasn't sure what it was, but there certainly was nothing wrong with her. She hadn't eaten anything rotten, she had slept like a baby and wasn't doing anything she shouldn't.

If only her parents hadn't kept her up so late the night before, perhaps she wouldn't be feeling this way. She blamed the late night conversation she had with them.

Yes, it has got to be that.

They were already up by the time she left the safety of her bedroom, dressed for the trip with comfortable jeans and a random shirt. Her suitcase was ready by the door and breakfast was on the table.

She wasn't used to waking up like this.

"Good morning, Rose." Her father greeted her, lowering the newspaper he was reading.

"Morning." She eyed her parents with apprehensive eyes.

Something wasn't right.

Her mother sat by her side, holding a plate of warm waffles for Rosalie to take. The two smiled at each other, something they hadn't done in ages. The girl didn't know how to feel, unsure of her own mother's actions.

"About this trip to Washington." Her father started, earning a discrete cough from her mother and a kick in the leg under the table.

"What about it?" Rosalie asked as she ate a piece of her waffle, melting at the delicious flavour that invaded her mouth.

"Are you sure you want to go?" Her mother placed her hand on top of her daughter's, eyes holding concern. "We just got back and could use some family time with you."

"But this trip has been set since the beginning of the school year." Rosalie lied easily. The trip had been organised last week, by their Decathlon teacher and a couple of students. "It would look bad if I quit now."

Nodding at her daughter's words, her parents merely smiled and finished their breakfast. The girl sat on her chair and stared at her parents, who looked normal. Oddly normal.

Something isn't right.

___

It was as they sat on the bus, already crossing the bridge separating the two sides of New York, that Rosalie felt it. And Peter felt the same thing.