Chapter 8 - Perfect Situation

"Wow..." she's really cute and I already know her.

"Hey, you're Ashley right? You're the new kid in my second period Government class?" I say with a light smile.

"Uh, I guess so and you're the dude my brother threw in the pool a couple weeks ago, right?" she said with a chuckle.

"Ah yeah... that was me" I say embarrassingly laughing while scratching my head.

Wait, brother?

I dropped the laugh, "Brother? You mean, Jackson?"

"Yeah... he's my brother." she replied.

How did I not know that Jackson had a sister?

I guess I gave away my confusion with my facial expression.

"Our parents were divorced and we lived separate for a few years, but our parents have decided to get back together so I moved back a day before that party. Oh and I'm sorry Jackson did that, don't quite know what got into him, he didn't used to act like that..." she said with a melancholy tone.

I felt the pain in her gaze, so I quickly put a smile on my face, "Ah it's alright, I wanted to go for a dip anyway." I said with a comforting hand motion.

She put a beautiful smile on her face, "Okay, I'll see you second period tomorrow I guess." She said as she brushed her hair behind her ear and began to walk away.

"Wow she seemed completely different than Jackson, she kind of seemed like... Danielle." I thought.

-----------------------------------

After that encounter this morning the day continued on as normal, with the exception of one hell of a pop quiz in my English class.

I strolled out the door spinning my keys in my hands with a cheeky grin, for some reason I couldn't wait for Government class tomorrow. 

When I neared my truck I immediately dropped the grin on my face for a frown. Danielle was leaning against the passenger side of the hood. "What do you want?" I asked not looking at her while I unlocked the door.

"Can we talk?" she asked with a sad tone surprisingly missing a begging twang. 

"Nope, we're done." I said as I hopped in and put the truck in drive.

I drove away and watched through the rear-view mirror as she followed me with her head. It hurt me to hear her sad and bleak tone, but it wasn't my fault she lied to me.

-----------------------------------

Tomorrow came and I followed my normal routine, but something felt different.

When I arrived at school and opened the door I was more than happy to not hit something. Thinking of yesterday reminded me of Ashley and the fact I would get to see her every other day. That put a cheeky grin on my face. At this point I knew she was pretty, but I had no chance, not me, this would be a Danielle v2, so I had already given up.

After first period I headed straight to my Government class and was one of the first few to arrive. This was already one of my favorite classes because I got to sit in the back alone. More and more people flooded in, but I never saw Ashley come in, I looked down at my watch and saw that it was almost time for the bell to ring. I kind of frowned, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The bell ring and my teacher left the door just barely open.

After a few seconds the door opened and Ashley walked in, I don't know if I was relieved, excited, or both. She walked to her seat that was diagonal of mine and smiled and waved at me before sitting down and running her hands under her legs to fix her skirt. I followed her hands and caught myself staring at her legs, so I quickly looked away towards the teacher.

After another boring lesson on politics, she turned to me as the teacher finished a couple minutes before the bell rang.

"You know, I never actually asked what your name was." She chuckled.

"Oh, yeah, you can call me Matt, I thought you weren't gonna show up when you didn't arrive on time."

"Yeah, I got lost, this school is really big and confusing, I found myself somewhere I hadn't been before and I felt like I was miles away from civilization." She laughed.

Wow, she's got such a cute laugh.

I laughed along, "Yeah I couldn't find the bus loop for the first couple weeks freshman year, I almost missed the bus once."

"Hey, do you think you could help me with this study guide? The school I came from was a lot more unspecific about things, I'm not good at remembering details."

"Uh, sure I guess, when?" I said as my heart was pounding.

"Do you drive? We can do it today if you can, I don't have a ride because my brother is going out with his girlfriend somewhere."

Danielle...

"Yeah I drive, you want a ride home and we can do the study guide at your house?"

"Yeah that sounds great-"

The bell rung, "Okay meet me in the Library after fifth period, cya."

"Okay" she replied.

I did some internal finger guns and went to my third period.