Chapter 4 - Closing Time

Eventually I pull myself together and get out of the shower. I wrap a towel around myself and open the door.

Ding-dong, Ding-dong.

She's still here? It's been at least an hour... I grab my phone and see "14 Unread Messages - Danielle".

Sigh.

Danielle: Matt please let me in

Danielle: Matt I'm sorry please

Danielle: Look I didn't think he would do that to you

Danielle: Please forgive me

Danielle: Please open the door Matt

Danielle: Matt

...

I felt a pain run from my chest to my hand, a deep tingling pain. I had never experienced such a feeling before. A feeling of utter desperation and sadness. I closed my eyes and turned off my phone and laid down.

I wasn't tired, but I think my brain was comprehending my pain and I fell into a deep slumber.

I woke up and the light from my window blinded me. I sat up and grabbed my head, I felt hot and my head was pulsing with a deep migraine. I grabbed my phone and clicked the home button, but it didn't turn on.

Oh yeah, I turned it off.

After the boot logo I saw "26 Unread Messages - Danielle". I didn't bother reading them, I knew what they would say. I took in a deep breath and last night's emotions flowed into me again. Thank god it's Saturday, I don't think I could take facing everyone at school right now, I bet everyone was talking about it.

I sneezed and thought, "Yeah, I'm definitely sick."

I feel my phone vibrate in my hand and look down and see Danielle is calling me. I accept it and pull the phone up to my ear.

Danielle starts, "Matth-"

I cut her off, "Can we meet?"

"Yeah, I'm at hom-"

Click.

I throw on some clothes, grab my keys and walk to my truck.

When I pull into her driveway I can see her sitting on the porch. I open the door and step out leaving the truck on.

She walks towards me, "Matthew I'm sor-."

I cut her off, "I know you are, but I can't take this anymore."

"What? What do yo-"

"Last night confirmed what I had already been thinking for a while, this isn't going to work, we can't be friends." I reply.

"No, Matthew, look I'm sor-"

I cut her off again, "I'm sorry too."

I turn around and begin to walk back to my truck, and she grabs my arm, "Matthew, wait!"

I pull away and get into my truck and begin to back out.

"Matthew, wait, I'm sorry!" she yells.

If I had listened to her sweet voice I wouldn't have had any courage.

My heart is throbbing but I keep backing out and turn around. My eyes begin to become cloudy, but I don't blink and they clear up.

God damn it, Matthew.