Chapter 16: The heat

The sniper and the ice user walked through the hallways. Yuki was trying to calm his nerves, but it wasn't working.

Were his wishes about to come true? Could it be possible that Tara liked him?

"So, why are we here?" He finally asked, subconsciously freezing a bit of the ground near his feet.

"I wanted to... I wanted to give them s-some time alone so that they can... they can make up." Tara said cheerfully, while all of Yuki's hopes got destroyed.

"Oh." Of course she didn't do that to talk to him. What was he thinking?

"You... You sounded disappointed." She remarked and he cleared his throat quickly and tried to hide the disappointment.

"Why did you join Aether anyway?" He asked, hoping to change the subject. He was rubbing his neck, realizing that he never had an actual conversation with her.

"I wanted to see more of the world." The sniper answered as a warm smile appeared on her face. "I might not be a Penergy... a Penergy user, but I can take c-care of myself."

"You don't have to be a Penergy user to be amazing! Being a sniper requires a level of patience that most us can't achieve!" The Ice user complimented and hoped that his blush wasn't too obvious. He truly thought that she was amazing.

"T-thanks! That's sweet." She bit her lip and looked thoughtful about something. She then smiled as she decided what to say. "What about you? Why did you join?"

"My family was really poor. So when I discovered my powers and heard about how well Aether pays for their missions, I decided to join to support my parents." He admitted with a shrug. "Thankfully, we're doing fine now."

"Aw, you really a-are sweet." Tara said while Yuki laughed nervously.

They stopped when they saw someone knocking a wizard out in the distance. His hair was a soft shade of orange, and his clothes were a mix of the black and yellow. He glanced at them then looked around as the walls started forming together isolating them in one room.

"That idiot! I can't believe he trapped me here! Stupid shape shifter." He complained then glared at the pair. "What do you want? Look, I had a terrible day! Fox was such a bully this morning, then Chameleon 'accidently' knocked books and files on me and NOW shifter trapped me here! So EXCUSE ME if I'm not in the mood for anything! I did not even agree to come here!" He huffed as he finally finished his complaint, and even his skin turned into different shades of red.

Yuki raised a finger and his mouth hang open as he tried to think of something to say, then he exchanged a look with the sniper who raised her hands in a questioning manner. They remained silent, afraid of causing another rant.

The intruder's glare hardened as his body became redder. "There's so much heat..." He muttered. "I'm SO angry!" He yelled as smoke started coming out from his burning body.

He suddenly ran towards the pair in an attempt to attack and release his anger. Yuki took a step back, surprised then he created an ice shield. The heater's fist collided with it, causing a wave of steam that filled the room. The Ice user took the opportunity and slammed his hands against the floor, freezing the room and created pillar so that the sniper could gain higher ground. Tara wore her goggles and pulled her cloak around her body, making her invisible. She then took her position on one of the ice pillars.

The ice and heat users waited for the steam to disappear. Yuki created multiple ice fists that attacked the heater, but they all melted before touching him.