Chapter 8: Welcome to Aether part 1

Silence filled the graveyard as they both stared at each other. Nosaru was the first to move. A golden light surrounded her arm. She was about to equip her weapon until a hand grasped her wrist. She looked up and was surprised to find Liz right in front of her.

"How did you...?" She asked, surprised by the blonde's speed. It seemed like she was different from the last time they met, she seemed faster. The blonde smiled down at her, and it only made more worried and defensive.

"Relax." Liz said as she let her go. "I'm not here to fight. I want to talk." She raised both her hands, as if they were a peace sign. The blue haired girl took a step back, still wary of her.

"Then talk." Nosaru said, glaring at her.

"We're talking somewhere else. Let's not disturb the dead, 'kay?" Liz said and walked away.

Nosaru stared suspiciously but followed her anyway. "Why are you here?"

"I was looking for you. Isn't it obvious, Noobaru?" Liz said, still walking. The other girl glared at her in response.

"It's Nosaru!" Nosaru stated, getting irritated. "And why exactly are you looking for me?"

Liz stopped and turned to her, then she said in her most serious tone. "I'm interested in you." Of course she regretted her choice of words immediately as the blue haired girl looked at her blankly.

"Excuse me...?"

"NOT in THAT way!" The blonde answered quickly and raised her hands in a defensive way, feeling her panic rising. "What I meant was that you're an amazing fighter!"

"Are you going to tell me why you're really here or what?" Nosaru asked and crossed her arms.

"Alright Grumpy. I'll get to the point. You work for Aether." The demon said which made the other girl look at her with surprise and suspicion. "An organization that was founded to keep the supernatural side of the world in check. Is that right?"

"How did you know that?" The human asked, watching her carefully.

"I have my sources." Liz shrugged and smiled. "I want you to take me there. I want to be a member too." She declared. She only received a deadly glare as a response. "Does your silence mean ye-"

"No."

"Oh. Why?" She asked. She should've known it wouldn't have been that easy.

"Being a member of Aether isn't a game, and I doubt you will take the job seriously. You are a mercenary and you're dangerous." Nosaru explained. "Give me one reason to trust you."

"You spared my life that day, so that means I owe you. If I betray your trust, you can kill me." She answered. "My life is yours." She finished, playfully putting her hand on her chest.

"Do you always have such a strange choice of words?" The blue haired girl asked and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah..." The blonde sighed in defeat.

"The answer is still no."

"Oh come on! I even brought this back to you." Liz took the pendant from around her neck, and handed it to her.

"You had it all along?" Nosaru took it and opened it, staring at her family photo. A picture that reminded her of better times, times she could never go back to... "Thanks for bringing it back..." Liz's eyes lit up. "But the answer is still no." She said and started walking away. Of course Liz followed her anyway. Nosaru turned back to face her. This girl was growing more and more annoyed. "What are you? A stray cat?"

"Being stray is better than being grumpy like you." Liz answered, and this time, she was the one crossing her arms. "I'm going to follow you until you accept."