Chapter 15: The knight

The author sat in the cafeteria, drinking a cup of tea and studying his surroundings. The room was filled with people with different ages and races. Some were showing off their abilities, while others complained about missions. He closed his eyes and let the voices and the smells take over his thoughts. The places that involved wizards were usually bland and unwelcoming.

His train of thoughts stopped when he heard someone sit across him. Aiko handed him her tablet and he accepted it silently. What he found on the device was the list of the members chosen for the mission.

"May I ask why you chose these kids?" He asked after handing back the tablet.

"Giving this task to a known and experienced member might cause suspicions so I tried the smaller ones." She answered, and the author raised an eyebrow, obviously questioning her logic.

"This mission might not go as planned. Do you think these kids can handle themselves?" He asked intrigued by the choice.

"I heard Liz is your friend, so I'm sure you know what she's capable of. She uses all types of melee weapons with amazing skills, along with superior strength and speed. Tara is a master of stealth and sniping. Yuki is ruthless and uses his ability to create a fitting environment while fighting." Aiko explained with a wide smile. She loved analyzing members' abilities and their ways of using them. "They have so much potential. I'm taking this as an opportunity to improve them."

"So you're basing the future of our alliance on your analysis. That's a crazy move." Bob said then crossed his arms and leaned into his chair. A faint smile appeared on his lips. He started to notice how interesting the woman was. "You haven't mentioned the last member."

"Have you heard of the legend of the knight?" Aiko started and her question surprised the wizard. He nodded. He read about it in one of his books and found it very intriguing. "The knight was a prodigy. He learned to use all weapons, was one of the most powerful fighters, and was loyal and brave. He protected his people to the end, and fought an entire army on his own. He died standing, victorious over his enemies. They tried to hold him down with chains, but he kept fighting. His soul remained loyal to the end, and because of that, it fused with the flower that was once the source of all magic."

"Because his soul became part of it, it became a Penergy." The author said. "The knight's soul and power chooses its owner, one that holds similar traits to him. However not every brave soul can have him. Penergy has so many types. Only those who possess the life type can have the knight's powers." Aiko explained. "Life Penergy allows the person's energy to produce life. Other powers evolve, but they can never create life."

Bob smiled as he understood why she was telling him the story. He had high hopes for this mission now.

"Sending four people is unusual." Nosaru said. She was sitting in her father's office. He asked her to stay behind while the three others left.

"Aiko made this choice and I trust her instincts." He said and looked at her instead of busying himself with something. "You look troubled." He stated but she avoided his gaze instead of answering. "I don't expect you to tell me what's bothering you, but I hope you're being honest with yourself. Keeping it all to yourself will only make you feel worse."

"Have you tried being honest with yourself?" His daughter asked, not with hostility but there was hurt in her tone.

Hiroshi closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. "No, but perhaps I should start." He said then gave her permission to leave. "Be careful." He said and she looked at him, thoughtful. There was one question she needed an answer for.

"Why did you refuse to let Ryu become a member?" She asked, and didn't dare to look at him. She heard him sigh as he turned away, facing the window.