Chapter 1: Mysterious Girl

Ryuu Ito

Why did I come here? I shouldn’t have allowed myself to be dragged her by these idiots, really I would prefer to be home reading my books and enjoying my own company. Instead, I’m sitting in a cloud of smoke, surrounding by a bunch of rowdy guys who think getting steaming drunk is a great time. This place is...squalid. I have been to much better exotic dance clubs where the clients are high class, the service is top dollar and the dancers don’t reek of drugs and desperation. I should leave, grabbing my coat I stand not bothering to say my goodbyes to my company. Almost to the door then, “ Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t see you there.”
“Well you’re in a rush aren’t you?”, giggles a cloaked girl, “I know this venue isn’t the prettiest, but why don’t you stay for a while longer? You never know, you might be surprised at what you find.”

The girl walks off and leaves me perplexed. All I could see were her plump red lips, her voice, had a thick accent, obviously not from Japan. My temptation to leave was replaced by a big lump of curiosity I had to know who she was. My companions hardly noticed when I returned they were too busy staring at the stage where a man dressed in an elaborate, green suit was beginning his speech.

“Hello, fine gents and gorgeous ladies! I am Katashi Ichijo your host for the evening, as you may have guessed this night is a very special night. Tonight, we shall entice and delight you with our first, but by no means least, burlesque show! For those whom have never seen such a show before we have some rules, if you see something you like clap, if you see something that excites cheer!”.
The announcer does his part relaying the crowd for the first act. My knowledge of burlesque dance is not that extensive, I have seen clips on the internet but nothing more. My interest grows, is this what the shrouded woman meant? The first couple of acts are fun, upbeat but more comedy than tease, still it’s a far better night than I expected. The audience is roaring and laughing, taken in by the dancers’ charms.

“What beautiful women don’t you agree ladies and gentlemen?”, the compare walks onto the stage, shouts and whistles declaring everyone’s thoughts, “Sadly, we have come to our last act, but don’t fret, this was but a mere taster for months to come. Our final act, is the lady who made this whole night happen. She is a connoisseur of lust and desire all the way from the UK, give it up for this exotic beauty, Miss Lily Fae!”. 

The lights and the crowd calmed simultaneously as the sultry music came to our ears. My breath became shallow, was this the mysterious girl I had encountered? People began to whisper from the back and everyone turned to see a small cloaked figure glide down the aisle. Occasionally, she would pause to stroke someone’s hand or whisper in their ear, as she walked her legs would slowly be revealed to give us a glimpse of what’s to come. I stared at my hands, strange they’re clammy, suddenly I felt fingers raising my chin and there were those red lips again. “If you don’t look up how are you supposed to be surprised?”, Lily breathed into my ear, sending delicious shivers down my spine. 

As she reached the stage, the music changed to something darker, more forbidden. The cloak drops and everyone gasps but nothing is seen apart from a black feather fan that covers her body from neck to her knees. The audience cheer and I sit there mesmerised by her as the twirls around to show another fan, I don’t see her face. A delicate black mask surrounds her eyes so the only thing she reveals is her golden hair tied in a tight bun. She glides around the stage with only her pale, toned legs and passionate eyes visible. Chills run down my spine in anticipation for what’s to come. Miss Fae does not disappoint. The music’s tempo increases and her dancing becomes more risky, twirling and twisting, Fae teasing us with flashes of her sumptuous body. I feel her gaze resting on me as the music, again, changes to a slower more seductive tone. I’m enraptured. The entire audience remains quiet.