Chapter 8. (Drag your heart up to) the starting line.

Start from the beginning

“Good morning” I said.

“Hey.”

I left my keys and my phone in the living room and went to my room. I took my guitar and tried to play something, but it wasn’t any good, so I just left the guitar back in its place. I heard someone coming in my room and I turned around, it was Leigh. I sat on my bed and she sat next to me.

“Tell me what happened.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean, Niall.”

“Nothing happened, Leigh.”

“Then why did you leave him waiting?”

“I just didn’t feel like seeing him.”

“But why?”

“Because Leigh, just because.”

“Maddie, he came looking for you really worried, he’s been texting and calling you. He’s spent all night calling to see if you had arrived home.”

“He didn’t have to worry.”

“But he did. Why did you leave?”

“I left because he was half an hour late.”

“And what? He was working! Maybe the video shoot took them longer than expected!”

“Yeah sure, working…” I said, ironically.

“What do you mean?”

“Nothing.”

“C’mon Maddie, you’d never leave someone waiting for you just because he’s late.”

“Leigh, don’t insist.”

“I won’t leave your room until you’d told me everything.”

“Alright then… He was kissing a girl.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know, I just saw him with a girl with dark curly hair.”

“Maddie, I think you…”

“Leigh, I gotta go to work, I’m sorry. We’ll speak later” I interrupted her.

I got dressed as fast as I could, grabbed my phone and went to the shop. While I was there I tried to forget about Niall, but I found it nearly impossible since the shop was full of girls asking for anything One Direction related.

“Excuse me, I came to return a CD I bought the other day."

“I’m sorry, we can’t make returns” I said without looking at the boy who was talking to me.

“But a crazy girl tried to steal Bruce Springsteen’s last album just a while after buying it."

I looked up and there I saw him, standing right in front of me.

“I don’t think she tried to steal it. I think you asked for her number and she wanted the album in return. And you, as jerk as always, didn’t want to give it to her.”

“Well, that jerk is still wondering why you didn’t go to your date yesterday.”

I rolled my eyes and went to the other side of the shop. I heard how he followed me and stood there behind me.

“Don’t you have anything to say?” he asked.

“I have my reasons.”

“And can I know them?”

“No.”

“I won’t leave you alone until you do.”

“Do whatever you want; I’m tired of your games.”