{I Haven't Broken His Nose Yet}

Start from the beginning

"Bella, once I've broken his nose, call Charlie would you," I say evenly.

"Jordan, don't-"

Too late. I've moved two steps away from her and hammered two punches into his abdomen and face.

He falls back, grunting and groaning. That would have hurt if I hadn't of bust my hands open time and time again as a boxer in Phoenix. Guess it does have some pros.

"Now?" Bella asks.

"I haven't broken his nose yet."

He comes hurtling back at us, and I wait until he's in front of me, then aim three rapid punches to his jaw and nose.

His lip busts, spraying the ground with blood. The other men aren't coming near, instead choosing to watch their friend get beaten up.

"You little bitch!" He spits.

A car comes screeching around the corner and halts a foot from us. But I don't pay attention to it. This douchebag has too much of my focus.

And while his mates jumped, he hasn't taken his eyes from me. I wait, bouncing on my toes.

He takes the bait and rushes me.

"Jordan, come on!" Bella yells.

My arm shoots out one last time, and my fist makes contact with his nose. A satisfying crunch sounds in the dark, and he crumples.

Blood pours from his nose, some of it splattered on my knuckles. He scrambles to run away, followed by a few of his mates.

I turn to the car and recognise it as Edward's silver Volvo from school. Except he's not the only one here.

Jasper is staring after the man, a look of pure rage painted onto his usually tranquil features.

He's shaking again, like he's fighting with something.

I quickly walk over and place my hand on his chest. "Jasper, it's fine. I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" He asks tensely.

"Yeah. Don't worry, there isn't a scratch on me," I say.

His eyes dart down to the blood on my hand, then back up. There's more tension in his body.

I swiftly wipe it on a tissue from my pocket and toss it away. "Come on, let's go."

His arm winds around my waist and gently pulls me to the back seats. As soon as we're in, Edward jerks the car forward, startling the remaining frat boys, then speeds out in a way that makes me question his ability to drive.

"We should go back there and rip those guys heads off!" Edward says, griping the steering wheel way too tight.

"N-no, you shouldn't," Bella says.

"You don't know what those lowlifes were thinking," he spits.

"And you do?" Bella asks.

I smile. She's a sharp girl, Eddie. Keep that in mind.

"Can we talk about something else?" He asks. "Distract me so I won't turn around."

"Erm," Bella fumbles for words. "You should put your seat belt on."

Edward laughs. "You should put your seat belt on."

It's then I realise, I am not wearing a seat belt. The only thing keeping me from flying through the windscreen this whole time has been Jasper's hand looped around my waist.

The muscle in his jaw is pushing against his skin from tension, and his chest is rising and falling shakily.

"Jasper, it's alright," I say, and carefully touch my fingers to his tense chest.

He relaxes under my hand and pulls me closer. "I'm happy you're alright."

My thoughts are racing in the back of my mind. On the one side, I know now for certain he's capable of killing me with less than a twitch. On the other, it's Jasper. The same person who saved my life in the parking lot, and came to my house because I asked him, then stayed with me through a very painful hospital visit. I don't think being a vampire changes that.

I finally decide it doesn't. I don't care what he is. It's the who I care about.

"You're tense," Jasper notes.

"Sorry. I'm just thinking," I say.

"About?"

"Things," I say.

He chuckles. "Alright then."

I snuggle into his side, laying my head on his shoulder. He turns to stone for a moment, then softens. When he doesn't object, I relax into him.