05 | Drunk Night

☆☆☆ Chapter 5 ☆☆☆

Drunk Night

At first glance, a simple, fit guy somewhere in his twenties stood before us, but once his gaze danced over Daniel's wide grin, I couldn't help but check him out.

Somethin' about him stood out, but I couldn't tell what── he had a strong set of cheekbones, cool, dark skin comparable to mine, and intensely rich brown eyes with a certain shine to them that matched his well-maintained goatee, but none of those things were what stood out. Not even the casual dimpled smile on his face or the bright lavender earrings that dangled from his ears.

He had the most cliché Afro possible, too, and god was it perfectly shaped! Again, though, there was just something 'bout him, somethin' I really couldn't point out or tell, that also refreshed my entire sense of self, like a cool glass of water on a hot summer day. A good aura, maybe?

It almost made me think that I wasn't the best creature in this world to make someone's day. Almost.

"What's up, amigo?" The guy exclaimed to his friend, but his eyes didn't take long to notice me and stay for a while. "Oh, and who's this lucky babe?" He gleefully asked, tilting his head. Right then and there all of my good thoughts of him flushed down the toilet, just like the deep dump I took a few hours back. Babe. He said it, he just frickin' had to say it.

And did he also just say that I was lucky, and not Daniel?!

I looked into the guy's eyes with the most serious glare I could possibly do, making him laugh awkwardly for a second or two before Daniel said: "This is Ane. She's my... maid. This is her, uh, you know, Imani Ane, the one I talked to you about... um, the one I've had an eye on since, like, forever." The man's eyebrows raised, and he nodded in such a way that let me instantly know he had heard of me before.

What the hell, was Daniel serious about it all along── he's really been stalking me all this time?! I literally convinced myself that he was just messing with me and nothing more, 'cuz sure, the rumors were the talk of our neighborhood, but I sure as hell didn't think he would actually be a straight-up stalker!

I stomped my feet, demanding Daniel to explain himself, but his dumb brain didn't catch up: he placed one of his hands by the top of my head and eventually started petting me, making me wonder if the one controlling my body was really me when a sense of comfort washed away my anger. Why was I so comfortable? I'm not a pet, and only I should be the one to pet others that way anyway── if I ever felt like it, and I especially shouldn't feel like that when I'm supposed to be mad at him! Why would he stalk me? I understand I'm pretty but that's way beyond simple-minded admiration!

"That's crazy, I can't believe this is the Ane in the flesh," the guy blurted, and had no intention to stop there. "You idolized her just as if she were your lord and savior, and here she is, right next to you."

Hello? I'm right here?! Why the hell are they doin' this?

Daniel recoiled from petting my head, choosing to mess with his own. His cheeks were a bit rosy. "Um... yeah."

The guy in front of us chuckled, his smile far more brighter than before. "You've always been quite the hopeless romantic, Dan." Daniel's face turned to a deeper shade of red after that, turning him into a human tomato the more he nodded. The guy seemed fairly pleased with Daniel's reaction. "So, anyway, this explains why you've been high on cloud nine lately. Why didn't you tell me before, were you trying to surprise me? Didn't work much honestly, but this means you finally followed my advice to step it up. In one way or another you may just have a chance and I'm proud of that, Dan. Just... keep yourself in check, alright?"