prologue

"Look at him." He held her face firmly, facing her at the direction that he was pointing at. Hyojung closed her eyes tightly, afraid of the truth that she may see. Afraid of how it would make her feel.

When he noticed her rigid posture he sighed, released her face and held her hands. "Hyojung..." His low thick voice reached her ears albeit the deafening music and people chatters in the background. "Open your eyes."

His thumb pads ran across her lids and rested on her cheeks. "You need to see. Come out of the little bubble of denial of yours and see the truth."

"I'm scared..." She gasped, her lips trembling as her heartbeat quicken. The feeling settling in like a knife in the gut.

"Don't be." His voice was soothing, and though she was having a hard time believing him, she found herself pulling on the other end of the rope, hanging on to those mere words.

She opened her eyes just to see that he had his gaze on her, like always. The feelings returned; mocking her and making her doubt her stance. He was confusing her and her situation was complicating it even more.

"I'm..." She breathed, her heart was banging at their close proximity. She could almost smell his subtle cologne, the scent that had gotten familiar to her. Her eyes glided to the side in an attempt to escape his intense stare, but they landed on another set of glare that made a shiver ran down her spine.

He saw her. They locked gazes. And she stood rooted on her ground as he pulled a girl to him and crushed her with deep sensual kiss.

The wound caused by the imagery knife throbbed. His eyes still held hers, watching as he destroyed what's left of her and he was enjoying it.

So she did what was expected of her. She ran.