"Is that why Mr and Mrs Cullen adopted you all? Because of the condition?"

"In part. They have it too, and understand what it is like to be a sort of outcast in society."

"I have noticed people tend to avoid you," I say, frowning. "Personally, I don't understand it."

Jasper does his crooked half smile. "And I have noticed you're different from the people in this school."

I grin. "That's me sweetheart. One of a kind, and one in a million."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later on that day, Bella drags me aside to complain about Edward's mood swings, and I try my best to be receptive to her.

But it's hard, because since my classes dropped Jasper, my headache has gotten worse.

I think maybe Jasper can tell, because after I rub my head for the millionth time I catch him watching from the other side of the parking lot.

"I just don't understand. What did I say wrong?" Bella sighs and shakes her head.

"Bells, I'm sure you're just overreacting. Everyone has off days," I say, rubbing my eyes hard.

The throbbing is so much worse. But I can't figure out why it's there. My last fight was weeks ago, so that's not the cause.

I have to lean on the truck hood as another wave of pain hits me hard. It may be weird, but I've never wanted a specific someone's hands on my face more than now.

A loud squealing fills my ears and Bella grabs my wrist tightly as I whirl around. Time slows as the van comes hurtling sideways at the truck.

I grab Bella and shove her down, trying to get her to roll under her truck. But a pair of hands wrap around my waist, too cold to be anyone else.

Jasper presses me down and I feel the vibrations of the van hitting something solid.

I manage to twist and see that not only has the van bounced, but it has a dent in it almost exactly matching the curve of Jasper's back.

He should be in pieces. I've seen people get hit like that. His back should be destroyed.

"Jasper?! What the hell! Are you alright?"

His eyes are wide, but the only thing that could give away what just happened are the creases on his jacket.

Jasper gets up and hops over the car, disappearing into the gathering crowd without a word.

"Bella? Bella, are you alright?" I ask, reaching to help my sister up.

She looks too shocked to speak, and is fixated on staring at the hand dent just a little farther from Jasper's.

"Bella, I'm so sorry. I panicked," the boy in the van says.

But Bella doesn't reply as we're swarmed by people on the phone with 911.

I can't see Jasper anywhere, but the chills on my back from his chest haven't faded.

The fussing irritates me, and I try to leave, but the ambulance gets there and ushers us into the back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've done my best to brush off the doctors that keep coming over to me. I hate this kind of attention.

Then Charlie bursts through the doors and rushes over. Worry is written all over his face as he eyes Bella and I.

"Girls, are you alright?" He asks.