Chapter Eighteen

A/N: First off, we'd like to thank MissAwesome for her awesome comments! They mean a lot! Thanks! And yeah....here ya go!

-Tharren-

Tharren slouched in his chair, fidgeting with his remaining ring and smiling. If his father ever found out that he had given away a royal crest ring to buy a necklace...well, his father wouldn’t find out. When Tharren went back...if he went back, he would go back King. He would not go back, groveling at his father’s feet, or worse, his half-brother’s feet.

...If he went back? Was Siri really worth remaining a prisoner for who knows how long? She was marrying Lewis soon, and they would probably never have another day like their trip to Deneverin. He could have any girl he wanted back home, even more so once he became king, and none of them would choose another man over him. Staying here would mean being stuck on the fortress grounds, waiting for any visit from Siri, and never being more than affair.

No, it couldn’t be worth it. He would go home, and become King of Hadalia, and no girl was going to stop him. But then again...Siri wasn’t just a girl...she was the most amazing woman he’d ever met.

Where was Siri? She hadn’t stopped by since their trip, not even to bring food. He’d been given all his meals by some giggly servant girl.

Just then his door swung open and Siri stepped in, muttering. “Sorry I haven’t been by in a while, I’ve had nothing but war meetings for a few days, and our date put me a little behind-”

Tharren grinned and pulled her into a close hug, cutting her off mid-sentence. Hands sliding down to her waist, he planted his lips on hers and held her close, inhaling deeply through his nose to take in the citrus-y smell of her.

Finally he broke the kiss and held her out from him at arms length, still keeping her hands tightly in his. “Gods, I missed you.”

Siri raised an eyebrow, but a smile spread across her face and she blushed. “I missed you too, Tharren.”

“So, what brings you here, Beautiful?”

Siri’s blush deepened. “Why are you acting so...sweet...today Tharren?”

“Because I feel like it. Do I need another reason to treat you right?” She sighed and thumped her head against his chest. Tharren chuckled, and lifted her face up to meet his. “Siri, what is it?”

She smiled weakly, and kissed him quickly on the cheek. “I need help. With....”

“With?”

“Strategy.” She winced and took a step back. “I’m sorry, I don’t want it to sound like I’m trying to use you. I mean, I’m not. I...this relationship is entirely...because I like you enough. Not like it was before. I’m sorry. I just...can you help me?”

Tharren’s chest tightened. Siri was asking him to become a traitor. He took a step back from her to think without being distracted by her presence. This was a big deal. It was either Hadalia or Siri at this point, and she had to know it.

He frowned, avoiding eye-contact. C’mon Tharren, this shouldn’t be so hard. You told yourself you’d go home and be king, and you can’t let a pretty face get in the way. He shook his head at his old voice. Siri was more than just a beautiful girl, and she was already in the way. If he was to become king, he’d end the war immediately, if only just for her sake, so why not just tell her what he knew? It was likely outdated anyway...and if she trusted him, maybe she’d tell him something and he could leave safely with it...No. No. He wouldn’t just leave...

Tharren shook his head to clear his thoughts, he could worry about what to do with information if and when he got it. Right now, it was in his best interest for the mission to tell Siri a little about the Hadalian war effort. It’s best for the mission. Right. Not for the relationship that didn’t, couldn’t, exist.

Siri frowned. “Okay...if you don’t trust me with this, that’s okay. I understand loyalty to your country...”

“What? Oh! No, no, no. I wasn’t shaking my head at you...I was, um, nevermind.” Tharren shrugged and smiled to shake off the realization of what he was about to do. “So,” he inquired, “what is it you want to know?”

Siri flashed a weak, grateful smile. “Um, I was hoping you could tell me what your army is going to do during the attack? So we can be ready for them...?” her statements turned up into nervous questions, as if telling her what she wanted to know was too much to expect back from him.

Tharren relaxed a little. At least he could be honest with her and not endanger his own people with this question. “I’m sorry Siri, but you caught me before I found out about the attack. I assume the early plans were on a need to know basis, and as a scout unit, we probably wouldn’t have been involved anyway. We scouts weren’t even trained for the kind of attack this sounds like, so I really don’t know anything...I wish I could help you...really I do. Don’t think I’m lying because of being Hadalian...you’re important to me too.”

Siri sighed. “I know, Tharren. Thanks for being willing to tell me anything in the first place. I’ll go tell the strategists that you don’t know anything. I’ll see you in a few days, I guess.”

“A few days?!” Tharren stepped close to her again, ready to hold her tight if she tried to leave so soon. “You can’t leave me alone here without you for so long, Siri.”

She sighed again. “Sorry, Tharren, but I’ve got to get back to the war meetings, they’ll last all day, then tomorrow I’ll be stuck in training, then I’ll have to get cleaned up and go to some dress fittings, and tomorrow night I have an engagement dinner with Lewis’s family.”

“Training? You aren’t fighting, are you?” He furrowed his brow.

“Of course I’m fighting! I’m one of the more experienced and skilled fighters living in the fortress, despite my being a woman.” She spat out the word, glaring.

“I don’t care if you’re a woman and you fight. That’s part of what made you so very...enticing when we met. I just don’t want some one I care about to face my father’s- to face my father and any other Hadalian warriors. They’re cruel and merciless.” Be careful, Tharren. She doesn’t need to know you’re the son of the King.

“Tharren. I have fought before. I grew up into this war. I know what Hadalians are like.”

He sighed and pulled her into a hug. “I know. I believe in your abilities. Just, be careful when the attack comes.”

Siri nodded solemnly before pulling him down into a fierce kiss. It ended all to fast, and before another word could be spoken, she rushed out of the room and back to her meetings.

Tharren stared at the door, a pained expression on his face. “Don’t marry Lewis, Siri.” He whispered, “I’m in love with you.”