Chapter Six

-Siri-

Siri snatched her ring from his fingers and slid it on her finger. "Get up." She said, and turned her back to him as he got up, cooing to her dogs.

"You know, if you were as nice to people as you were to your dogs, you'd have a lot more friends." Tharren piqued.

Siri rolled her eyes. He never shut up. "I don't want more friends. And besides, a healthy level of fear is good."

"The Empress isn't terrifying. People seem to respect her."

"The Empress is the the Empress. Completely loving in a field of corruptible, sly, backstabbing politicians. That by itself is frightening." She increased her speed, not really wanting to talk to Tharren right now.

When they got to the doors that led outside, she quickly pushed them open. She stopped and let the sun soak into her skin for a moment, enjoying the late summer heat. Soon it would be autumn, and she could go rabbit hunting with her dogs. She let herself forget about all her problems, Tharren, Lewis, the war, and just let the happiness of the weather soak into her.

A finger poked her shoulder. "Earth to Siri, don't get yourself lost in the sun."

Siri let out a grumbling sigh, and opened both her eyes.

"Don't you have a meeting to go to or something?" Tharren waved his hands in front of her face to get her attention.

Siri shoved him away. Those hands had just been all over Marcelle, she didn't want them too close to her. "Fine. Let's go introduce you to Garret."

Tharren gave a silly salute and stood behind her.

Siri jogged the rest of the way, as soon as the training grounds came into view. "Garrett!" She called, waving her hand, the weapons master twisted around, confusion on his face.

"By George! Siri, what are you doing here? I have all the training under control, you do know that, don't you?"

Siri laughed. "I need you to watch someone for me."

"Siri, I am not watching those dogs of yours twice in one week."

"I didn't mean the dogs, I meant this prisoner."

Tharren stepped out from behind Siri and waved. "Hello. I'm Tharren. I've been causing this lovely lady a bit of grief lately."

Garret laughed and shook Tharren's hand firmly. "Anyone who can give Siri a run for her money is definitely some one worth watching. Go to your meeting or whatever it is you need to do, Siri, I've got this under control."

"Thanks Garret, I owe you one." Siri smiled and ran back towards the castle.

-Tharren-

Tharren turned to watch her go until she disappeared past the gates. Garret stood behind him, chuckling. "She owes me more than one. Those dogs of hers chewed through a leather shield yesterday, and now I need a replacement, and in time for the attack, too."

Tharren raised his eyebrow. "An attack?" Garrett nodded, but didn't go into detail.

Garrett led Tharren to the fence of the arena. "So, you're Hadalian, are you?"

"Yep. Born and raised."

"That is some nasty luck."

"What?"

Garret shook his head sadly. "That Siri has a powerful hatred towards all of you. I'm sorry you had to realize how great a girl she is, because you can't have her no matter how much you want her. At least not without proving yourself somehow."