A Boy Named Kookie

To say my parents were enchanted by Jungkook is an understatement. At the tender age of seven months, he has my parents wrapped around his little finger. I don't think he has been set down once this entire trip. Even my father who is usually Mister Stoic melts at the tiny giggles of Jungkook. All the attention on him leaves Namjoon and me to spend some quality time with one another within these three days. Like now, for instance, I am bustling about the kitchen as he sits at the island telling me about work. This domestic scene is something of dreams for me. I always wanted to grow up and have a happy little family, children pitter-patter about and the family pet chasing hurridly as my parents had. The dream got pushed aside when I met Yoongi and came to the realization that not everyone came from such upbringings. It put into perspective my personal preferences and how my ideal future would be unlikely considering the stereotype that accompanied the 'family' unit. I have been fortunate in that I was given the opportunity to raise Jungkook in the midst of supportive friends and family.

I had promised to make Namjoon something of culinary expertise, something in which he has decided to hold me to. So to placate the clumsy man I go about making breakfast with an assortment of banchan. It is nice to once again bumble around my mother's kitchen, she always has so many things to eat that I never get in my tiny Seoul apartment kitchen. I have finished the janchi guksu and present the warm bowls to a hungry-looking Namjoon. We set out our array of dishes and set about filling our bellies. It is quiet with just the two of us. Jungkook asleep in the crib my mother insisted be bought and my parents out and about. Happy memories flit about at the taste of kimchi, the very one my mother would always have for Yoongi and me after long days of high school. Namjoon seems to be surprised at the banchan plethora as he goes about trying everything.

"Careful Joonie, you might get whiplash from your chopsticks." His wide smile greets me and I chuckle at his showing of dimples. He slows his roll and sips at the janchi guksu tentatively letting the broth warm his palate. I follow suit and relish in the comforting familiarity of the noodles and radish twirling around my chopsticks.

This afternoon we head back to Seoul and immerse ourselves into our daily lives once again. I will miss the slow-moving afternoons lazing about with Jungkook cuddled to me and my family sharing in joyous moments, the room alight with laughter. However, I miss Yoongi and I understand the responsibilities that await me upon arriving home. Namjoon must also tend to his duties as a student-professor and most likely needs to get himself organized before the hectic winds of college stir afresh. I must have been caught in my mind because Namjoon looks at me with a fond glint to his eyes. "You know staring is rude, Namjoon-ah. Didn't your mom teach you that?" I smirk and set down my eating utensils.

"Oh she did, but she never told me I would encounter someone with beauty such as yours." Now it is my turn to sputter about, his praise catching me off guard. I am used to reminding those around me of my handsome status, but it is nice to hear it from another. Out of habit now I twist the delicate silver chain around my wrist to calm my heart. He notices of course and catches my hands within his. "Silliness aside, I have really enjoyed our time together. I want to ask you something important because you mean so much to me." Namjoon squares his shoulders and rubs his thumbs along my wrists in a soothing gesture. "I know that you have told me of your feelings and I wanted to reassure you that I feel the same. You asked if I would accept your affections in which I answered not very gentlemanly." He gives a breathy chuckle as I remember the heated kiss we shared those days ago. "To make it up to you I wanted to make things official. Kim Seokjin, will you enter a courtship with me. I promise to treat you with the utmost respect and be there when you need someone to lean on."

What was meant to be a simple breakfast has turned into a very important moment between us. I am not oblivious, I understand the implications of entering a courtship. He intends to put a ring on my finger in the future, a promise that we will be tied together till the end. Am I ready for such a commitment? Being a 24-year-old man I have had a few relationships, but never lasting long as our interests inevitably diverged. With Namjoon it has been so easy to get along with him, and he has proven time and time again that he cares deeply not only for me but Jungkook and Yoongi as well. The last thing I want to do is lose someone as precious as the clumsy man.