What We Need

The bus was running late and I am about to lose it. Due to unforeseen events, our exam had been canceled for our creative writing class. However, the exam is being administered today so that we stay on schedule before the break. I am grateful for the date change because it was during the brief period Jungkook was with his grandparents and, well, it wasn't the most pleasant of times.

The last two days have been nice with Yoongi back in the apartment and both of us getting to love on Jungkook. The only problem is my short companion never wakes up on time. It is stressful enough getting myself and a now seven month old ready, but add a grumpy twenty-something who is lazy beyond reason and it is impossible to be on time.

After having to physically pull the blonde from under his hovel of blankets we reached the bus stop on time, but barely. All the rush only to have the bus itself run late. Usually I can handle the push and pull of patience-testing daily life, yet exams give me a squeeze like feeling of anxiety so I am getting agitated faster than normal. As if sensing my discomfort Jungkook pulls on my collar. I look down at the doe eyes that always calm my heart. "Ah, my Jungkookie, what would I do without you?" I put my hand on his little arm that had managed to escape the sling and kiss his pudgy hand. Yoongi gives us a mock grimace even though his eyes crinkle in jollity.

"Hyung, here comes the bus. We just might make it to the exam on time after all." To punctuate his observation the hiss and squeal announcement of the bus rounding the corner to stop before us breaks the quiet morning air. Pulling out our cards and squishing our way to the back we finally make for the campus. Public transportation is nice, but with the baby, it might be more plausible to look into owning a car of my own. Haha, I guess domestic thoughts like these are more relevant now that it isn't just me and Yoongi. Eomma would be proud.

Speed walking with a child strapped to you is a very unique experience, one because it is very risky and two, people will most definitely stare. It may be that a man such as myself typically doesn't make his way across campus in rapid succession wrapped in undeniable pink supporting an adorable young child while his tiny friend runs like that of a geriatric. No matter the specifics we hit the classroom with fifteen minutes to spare. Professor Heo gives our hapless trio a look with barely concealed giggling. I see the humor too causing windshield wiper laughter to permeate the hall.

The outburst must have alerted Namjoon to our presence because he happily makes his way to us as Yoongi and I settle into our preferred seats in the back. "Hyungs and Jungkook, good morning. I trust you got some studying done for today?" Yoongi just scoffs, I at least try to keep up appearances and smile sheepishly as Jungkook babbles as though adding his own input. "I see, kind of been occupied by more important things. Seeing as I created the exam it is nothing to be worried about. I know both of you will do just fine. Just like the first test, it will be three hours long, but each student will have a break so not as to burn out." Namjoon's reassuring smile calms my nerves and Yoongi seems to be more relaxed as well. Too soon the student-professor is called to the front for exam preparations.

"Eomma?" The use of the honorific surprises me since Yoongi has been seemingly out of his little space for the last several days. He must be worried about the exam. Any worries I experience he seems to take on tenfold, working himself up to the point of panic. I gently turn to the younger and give him a hug, well Jungkook and me.

"All will be well, Yoongi-ya. You have been writing since middle school, my little lyricist. Remember Joonie said that we get a break during the exam if you need to clear your mind just raise your hand. I will be right here beside you." I feel him nod against my shoulder so I pull away and fix him with a reassuring look. My pep talk seems to have pushed away the worries, for now, I just hope that it will last the duration of his exam.