eighteen

Start from the beginning

The court room erupted into another fit of laughter as security tried to get the crowd back under control and quiet them down.

"Look, I'm no expert-"

"Oh Mr. Senator, I would hope you're not," Audelia told him with a sickly sweet smile. "Prostitution won't look good for a reelection campaign."

Tony was sent into a fit of laughter, grasping at his chest as one hand reached over to Deli, grabbing her arm as he laughed. Deli chuckled along with him, trying her best to ignore the feeling of his hand on her skin.

Audelia turned her head slightly, catching Pepper's eyes as she shot her friend a smile. Pepper only raised an eyebrow at her, not impressed with either of them currently.

"You know, Ms. Motter, I hoped that in having you here you would actually be able to keep Mr. Stark under control, but it seems I was mistaken," Stern narrowed his eyes at the woman as she shrugged back innocently. "I'm no expert in weapons. We have somebody here who is an expert on weapons. I'd now like to call Justin Hammer, our current primary weapons contractor."

"Jesus christ," fell from Audelia's lips as Justin Hammer took his place at the other end of the long table, adjusting his suit jacket. Deli's hand came back up to her head, rubbing her temples as her headache increased ten-fold at just the sight of the man.

"Let the record reflect that Audelia and I observed Mr Hammer entering the chamber, and  we are wondering if and when any actual expert will also be in attendance,"

Justin adjusted his tie, laughing lightly into his microphone as he pulled it closer to him.

"Absolutely. I'm no expert. I defer to you, Anthony. You're the wonder boy," he gestured over to Tony before his eyes fell on Audelia, his smile widening. "And of course, where would you be without the beautiful and talented Audelia Motter by your side?"

Deli didn't waste a second in grabbing her mic, pulling it to her lips as her eyes stayed trained on Justin at the end of the table.

"Court, please let the records show that Justin Hammer is currently kissing my ass because I humiliated him publicly in the middle of a weapons convention years ago when I denied his advances and told him I was embarrassed to even be breathing the same air as him,"

If the clapping and cheering from the crowd and Tony wasn't enough, knowing she broke through Pepper and got a laugh out of her for even a second was enough for Audelia to sit back confidently.

Stern slammed the gavel down multiple times, quieting the crowd as he gesturing to Justin to continued. He rose from his chair, avoiding Deli's eyes as he grabbed his microphone and turned to the crowd.

"I may well not be an expert, but you know who was the expert? Your dad. Howard Stark. With the backing of the brilliant Elizabeth Motter," Justin turned to look at the pair quickly before turning back to the crowd. "Really a father to us all, and to the military-industrial age. Let's just be clear, he was no flower child. He was a lion. We all know why we're here. In the last six months, Anthony Stark has created a sword with untold possibilities. And yet, he insists it's a shield. He asks us to trust him as we cower behind it, to cower behind him and a woman who won't reveal her face. I wish I were comforted, Anthony, I really do. I'd love to leave my door unlocked when I leave the house, but this ain't Canada. You know, we live in a world of grave threats, threats that Mr Stark will not always be able to foresee. What if that threat is even the woman behind the great Imperial? Thank you. God bless Iron Man. God bless America."

"That is well said Mr Hammer," Stern complimented him as he took his seat once again, Deli and Tony locking eyes as they both shared an annoyed and unimpressed glance. "The committee would now like to invite Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes to the chamber."