Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

I let out a squeal as I fall on my back and the dog gets on top of me. "Shit," Luke curses. "You okay?" Then he goes forward to pick Duke up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry," I assure him, holding up my hand.

Duke then licks my cheek and my face and I laugh slightly. "Okay then." Then he gets off of me and tugs on my jumper as if he's trying to make me sit up. I sit up and physically and mentally get ready for standing up, but Luke helps me up which I certainly don't mind.

"How is your dog so calm?" I ask, watching Duke jump on top of Luke's messy bed and lie on it, resting his chin on his front legs.

"I don't know. I guess it's because he always sees me reading or sleeping, so he's just used to the calmness," he answers.

"You're meaning to tell me that Molly's crazy because I'm crazy?" I question.

"I wouldn't be surprised," Luke replies.

"Well, Melanie Martinez said that all the best people are crazy, so–" I stick my tongue out at him.

"Melanie Martinez; the same person who sang about sex as if it's cake?" He asks, raising one of his eyebrows.

"It's a descriptive...metaphor and it has a very deep meaning."

"It's about sex," he insists.

"Please don't say it so openly like that," I tell him, feeling a bit uncomfortable.

I mean, I'm talking about sex with the guy I like. That's not okay.

"So, you are a virgin," he concludes, smirking.

"You know just because I'm not comfortable with talking about sex doesn't mean I'm a virgin, that's very judgy of you," I tease him with a small grin.

"To be honest, I was just looking for a way to ask you," he admits, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Curious about me, aren't we?" I tell him and he shrugs in response. "Yes, I'm a virgin. I was never really ready to...you know–with Seth. I mean, I was fifteen. If my mum found out I had sex with my boyfriend that young, I'd be disowned."

He lets out a chuckle. "It doesn't matter, you know?"

"What doesn't?" I frown in confusion.

"If you're a virgin or not. I just wanted to know, but it really doesn't matter," he says in a serious tone.

"Yeah, I know," I look down at my feet, moving my left foot around. It mattered a lot to Seth.

"Anna." Luke states, almost as if he knew.

"What?" I mumble out, still keeping my eyes on the ground.

"Look at me," he orders in a firm voice and I feel him moving closer. I finally look up at him, noticing how kind of close he is. "What did he do?" He asks, taking another step closer.

"He didn't do anything, more like said," I reply honestly.

"What did he say?"