Chapter 1 | Names

Eleven's POV

"You and Max are both so disgusting, I can't believe you Eleven." It was Mike. "I don't care what you think Mike, we're together." I told him. "Max is a stupid fag, whatever she told you ignore her, you don't want to be a fag too do you? I'll forgive you and we can be together again." he said. "No way, Max is not stupid, and I'm not a fag whatever that means!" I hung up. 

I turned around and I saw Will next to me. "Oh, uhm hi." I told him nervously. "Who were you talking too?" Will asked me. "Oh you heard?" I sad more nervously. "It's okay El, if you're gay, I uhm, I'm gay too." Will told me. I was really surprised "Really? I'm not gay, I mean I like Max, but I like boys too." I told Will. "Cool, whoever you were talking to on the phone was a shithead, you shouldn't listen to them." he told me. "It was Mike." I told him. "What Mike? No, he wouldn't do such a thing would he? Please tell me you're lying." Will said worryingly. "Unfortunately no, he called me and Max disgusting." Will now looked like he was about to cry. "Are you okay?" I asked him. "It was Mike." he said through his tears. I didn't understand what he meant. "Mike, I had a crush on him, for a long time. And he doesn't except you so there is no way he'll except me." I tried to comfort Will. After a while Joyce came. "What happened, Will, El, are you okay?" she asked us. "Will, isn't okay. Mike was very mean to us." I told her. "Hey it's okay, come let's have some breakfast." 

We went downstairs and sat down. Today we were having scrambled eggs. I picked at my plate I wasn't feeling that hungry today. "You don't want to eat?" Joyce asked me. "Yeah I'm just not that hungry right now." I told her. "So what did Mike do?" Joyce asked me. "He called me names." I told her. I was pretty sure Joyce knew what was going on, since she new about Max and I. 

After breakfast I went back to my room. I was listening to music on my bed. I couldn't stop thinking about that word, fag, I didn't know what it meant, but I knew it was bad. "Will what does it mean, the word Mike called me, fag?" "It's a bad word for gay people, my dad and bullies at school used to call me it all the time." he told me. "I never thought Mike would be like that." I told Will. "Me neither." said Will.

I heard a ringing on the phone, I didn't know if it would be Mike screaming at me again or Max, so I didn't reply. I sat back down, thinking about Max, and everything that happened the past week.

Max's POV

I kept on calling El, but she didn't pick up. Does she really like me? Maybe she is back together with Mike. Ugh, I just really wanted to see Eleven again. I wish I didn't live here, with my shitty parents, I wish I lived with El. But I guess life isn't perfect. The only perfect thing, is Eleven. Gosh, she is so pretty, her dark brown eyes, her hair, everything. And she's so funny, and cute. She's also a great kisser. Every time I kiss her it feels like fireworks.

I sat down to have breakfast. My parents and I haven't really been talking after Billy's death. We just sorta sit there, and do our own things. Man, my life is so boring, I have no one to talk to anymore, because El is gone. I decided to pass time by skating. I went to the closest skate park and did some tricks. 

I went back home and tried calling El again. Yes, she answered!

"Hi El, it's Max, why haven't you been answering the phone, I've been trying to call you all night?"

"I thought that Mike might be calling me again."

"Mike, shit, what did he do?"

"He called me names, bad names."

"That shithead! I'm so sorry. So how is it, back home?"

"Okay, but I really miss you."

"I miss you too, El. So much. Life is pretty boring without you. I don't really have any other friends."

"Me neither, I have to go now, I'll hear from you again soon, right?"

"Yeah, bye, El."

I can't believe Mike called El, and made fun of her. I sat back down and grabbed my journal I recently started. It helps me get my thoughts clearer. I started writing, and soon fell asleep.

Authors Notes: Hey everyone, sorry it took me so long to upload the first chapter. I've been really busy, and when the school year starts, I'll be even more busy with school stuff. I decided to put a little bit of byler in here. Don't worry El and Max won't be apart for the rest of this book. I'll try to upload again soon. Thanks for all the support! :)