Chapter Fourteen - A Shocking Revelation

Start from the beginning

By the time you woke up, you could already feel the shuttle descending back down into the Talon headquarters. It landed down with a bump, and you and Sombra silently exited, heading quietly back towards your shared dormitory. Even after your nap, you still felt tired, unable to hold back the occasional yawn as you moved through endless identical corridors.

After what felt like forever, you reached the dormitory, nearly staggering inside and laying down on the purple sofa with a long and drawn out sigh. Sombra, meanwhile, silently headed inside the bathroom and closed the door behind her, presumably to change out of the torn dress. You also found yourself starting to feel uncomfortable in the tuxedo, and slowly got yourself out of it, absent-mindedly tossing the jacket and trousers aside. You leant down and zipped open your suitcase of clothes from Miami, quickly slipping into a T-shirt and shorts, before returning to your laid-back position on the sofa.

Staring up at the ceiling, your thoughts once again dwelled on your past, on Miami, and the horrors therein. You heard Thompson's cry as he took the grenade for you, saw his blackened face and lifeless eyes looking right back up at you. If you listened close enough, you could almost hear the explosions of the battle, losing yourself in the past. Fifteen years. For fifteen years, you'd wondered if you'd ever escape these haunting memories. So far, you hadn't been that lucky.

This time, though, your thoughts were interrupted by Sombra, who strolled out of the bathroom wrapped in a white towel. She held the dress in her hands, carefully setting it down on her bed before moving to join you on the sofa.

"You look deep in thought, amigo. What's wrong?" she questioned, a look of genuine concern on her face.

You considered telling her, according to her, your files had been so heavily encrypted that even she couldn't break them. She doesn't know about Miami. For one singular moment you prepared to tell her everything, but hesitation prevented you, and you instantly feared that she wouldn't see you the same way if you opened up.

"Nothing, I'm just tired," you lied, "it's been a hell of a day".

You could tell she didn't believe you from the frown on her face, but unlike most she didn't pry. It was actually ironic, a hacker who relished finding out people's dirty secrets didn't push you for information. You figured it was likely because she had secrets of her own.

"You're not wrong there. I could just crawl into a pit and die right about now. Still...you heard Akande, we're obviously impressing somebody. I just wish we could do more to fight Talon, rather than keep helping them" she responded, leaning back with a sigh.

As she said that final statement, you suddenly remembered the memory drive. Exhaustion and nightmares had allowed you to forget.

"I...may have a solution. Check my jacket pockets" you remarked, gesturing towards your tuxedo jacket, which was currently scattered on the floor with the rest of your clothes.

Sombra gave you an odd look, but stood up regardless, crouching down next to the jacket and rifling through the pockets. For several seconds she found nothing, until suddenly her hands wrapped around a USB drive, and she pulled it out into the light.

"A memory drive? What's on this?" she questioned, standing up and adjusting her towel slightly.

You gave an almost cocky grin as you answered.

"Oh...just data that threatens both an international technology company and a global terror network equally. It seemed a shame to just delete such a fascinating find" you replied with a smile, loving the look on Sombra's face as her eyes widened.

Without saying a word, the hacker quickly moved over to her computer and plugged in the drive, hurriedly tapping on the keys. You stayed sat down on the sofa, suddenly hoping that you'd copied the data correctly, you'd regret boasting if you hadn't. But the sudden gasp from Sombra, coupled with the many lines of information that seemed to fill her screen, confirmed your success. Whatever this secret was, you now had access to it. Fuelled by curiosity, you dragged yourself up and slowly strolled up to the computer, standing behind Sombra as she read certain words aloud.

"It's...a series of trade deals between Vishkar and Talon. It looks like that Sanjay Korpal was sent to oversee these deals in Utopaea, the company's headquarters" she stated, her eyes flitting from one line to the next as she spoke.

So, the enormous technology company wasn't entirely clean, what a shocker.

"I can see why that would be damaging to Vishkar, trading with terrorists and all, but why were Talon so concerned about this? Why were we sent to retrieve it?" you questioned in response, struggling to understand what exactly you had risked life and limb for.

"Well...that very much depends on what they were trading and...dios mío..." Sombra began, her voice suddenly trailing off as her eyes widened in shock.

You frowned, unable to read very well over her shoulder.

"What? What is it? I'm dying of suspense over here" you remarked with a tired voice.

Probably a little too sarcastic considering the stakes, but it had been a long day.

"Talon bought live omnics and mechanical salvage from Vishkar...in the thousands. There's enough here for a small army. And if Akande has acquired all of this, then he intends on using it for certain. 'Only through conflict do we evolve'" Sombra explained, quoting Doomfist at the end to prove her point.

At this point, her hands were shaking a little over the keyboard, and even you found yourself shocked, unable to find the words.

"Shit...that's bad...that madman is gonna start a global war...and we just helped erase the only evidence of it" you commented, beginning to pace around the room a little with stress.

How could this be happening? Not long ago, you would have been sat in your apartment clueless whilst terrorist organisations and tech giants threatened to end the world. Despite this, for some reason, Sombra suddenly seemed to be sat there with a big grin on her face. And then, taking you by complete surprise, she burst out laughing. She span her chair around and looked at you, only giggling further at the confused expression on your face.

"This is bad and all, really bad, but don't you see what this means? We know Talon's plan! And they have no idea! For the first time, we're a step ahead, and it's all thanks to you!" the hacker said gleefully, standing up and wrapping you in an embrace.

Despite your confusion, you found yourself smiling as well as you put your arms around her. Her happiness was nothing short of contagious, and quite soon you were chuckling too. She was right, though, knowing what Talon was up to was half the battle. And now that you knew, you could start to fight back...

Brief Summary – On the return trip, Moira reports to a pleased Doomfist about the successful mission, and you have another bout of PTSD. Back in your shared dormitory, you reveal to Sombra that you kept a copy of the data from Oasis. She accesses it, uncovering a string of trades between Vishkar and Talon. Talon is revealed to be buying weaponized omnics, presumably in the hopes of triggering another war.