Nighttime Conversations

Start from the beginning

"Daya," he interjected. "Piper said you had something to tell me, but she didn't say... what."

And I realized that I tried to glaze over the kiss when he didn't even know and I immediately facepalmed. "Oh, Jay my... old best friend, he kissed me today. Terrible timing, I know. Right after you asked me if I was rebounding. Which I'm still not doing."

There was silence on the other side of the line but my heartbeat was growing louder and louder. Finally, he replied, "I'm not upset about it. I understand."

I didn't believe him for a second. Blinking I said, "You do? Because you can be, mad. I would be mad if it was the other way around. I'm upset with him and myself and..."

"Hey, take a breath," he interjected as I began to ramble again. I could hear it in the back of his voice that it was hard to hear yet he was still concerned about me.

I obliged before he asked me, "Do you feel better?"

I nodded even though he could not see me. "Oh, yeah. That is much better. I mean it though. You can be mad at me if you want. But, if you're really not then that is fine too," I smiled sheepishly.

"I understand. As you said, he's your best friend. It's not that big of a deal. I didn't expect you to stop talking to him forever," he mumbled his way through the words making me think they weren't true.

"Still, it's too soon. We were just together this morning and-" I ceased speaking because his voice forcefully came through the phone. "It doesn't change anything. I'm still on board for whatever you want to do."

Rolling around my bed I responded, "I don't know what I want to do. I even asked my mom about you."

"You're talking to your mom about me already. Did she give good advice?" I could hear the smugness on his tongue.

"I haven't tested out her advice yet, and I don't even know that it'll work. She said to make a pros and cons list. I think she was joking though. She also said to keep doing what I am doing but I don't even know what I'm doing so..." I tried to shrug it off.

"Do you want my advice?" A static sound interrupted his words.

"Yeah, what do you think I should do about a situation involving you?" I moved my head with every syllable.

He chuckled, "I agree with your mom. You should take your time and decide, not when it's convenient for me or him, but for you."

Biting down on my lip, I spoke, "Are you willing to wait? I don't want to lose you because I am indecisive. And I don't want to hurt either of you, but I've already done that."

He paused, "Don't worry about me. I'll wait, I won't wait forever, but I'll wait. And whether we get together or not, you don't have to worry about losing me. I'm here for the long haul."

I gulped, "How long is a good time frame then? For future purposes, I assure," I awkwardly laughed.

"I don't know. I will tell you when the time gets closer. It's definitely not two days though." A silence came over the phone for a few seconds. "What did you tell your mom about me?"

I moved my hair to one side, "Nothing that wasn't pg. thirteen, if that's what you mean."

I could practically see him smirk through the phone. "That's not what I meant, but good to know. We wouldn't want her to see you any differently."

I changed the course of the conversation, "I told her that I liked you and a few things that you told me about yourself. She said that you sound astonishing. I think that was the exact word she said."