Chapter 32: A Mad Man

Começar do início

"Eat up, she said she'd be eating the same for lunch." I smiled at the thought and brought the spoon full of macaroni to my lips. At the end of the room, she just stood there observing me. Although I'm still snappy, I've been on my best behaviour for the past few days. I want my privileges back so I won't have to deal with seeing this woman's face more than three times a day.

"What would you like for your fourteenth birthday, Ariel?" She suddenly asked. My birthday is a few months shy away. And then right after that is the beginning of grade nine. Why would she even ask me that? And what do I want? An actual phone? A new set of painting brushes and acrylic paint? No, I don't want these things. "I want to get out of here," I whispered before I resumed eating.

After I was done, she collected my plate and placed a chocolate bar on my table without saying another word. I know she felt sorry for me, so why isn't she trying to make that wish come true? I picked up the chocolate bar and examined it. The only way to make it out before my birthday is to be tolerable. She won't fall for my good girl act, so I'll just have to be as tolerable as possible. "Thank, you, Doctor Julian."

She pivoted on her heels and smiled, "my pleasure, Ariel."

"Where are you taking me now Tobias?" I chuckled softly, my hands brushing against his own that was placed over my eyes. We left the arcade about fifteen minutes ago and got down the car a little while ago so I'm not sure where he's bringing me. But from the excitement reverberating off of him, it was probably special.

"If you're gonna kill me then get over with it."

He laughed softly from behind me, but once again didn't respond. I could feel his heart palpitating against my back, his minty breath fanning against my cheek, his stubble pricking my face and his soft, tender hands brushing against my skin. Every little thing about him was intoxicating. It was driving me insane, beyond endurance. I don't know what would happen tonight, but I'm sure as hell ready for it.

"You ready?" He asked, excitement lingering in his voice as we suddenly came to a stop. "Should I be scared?" I could literally feel his eyes rolling behind me and I giggled softly. "No, I promise." He said reassuringly. I nodded my head and slowly he peeled his hands away from my eyes. At first, all I could see was blurriness but the more I blinked, the more the scene before me became clear. Sitting in front of me was a picnic, in his very own backyard.

On the deck laid a thick blanket, four pillows scattered around them. On the blanket were two bags of chips, accompanied by two bowls of fruits and a container filled with sandwiches. Next to it was a bottle of what I'm assuming is non-alcoholic champagne. But what was even more stunning was the mini projector that sat before us and the Christmas lights decorating the dark outdoors which illuminated everything in its path.

With my mouth hung low, Tobias' hands intertwined with mine. I turned to face him, a smile curling up my lips at the look of sheer happiness on his face. He smiled and tugged me forward. I followed in suit behind him as he led me up the stairs of the deck. He let go of my hand and slipped off his shoes, motioning for me to do the same. Whiles doing so I let my eyes linger behind the glass doors that led to inside. All the lights were off and I didn't know whether or not his parents were asleep or he was home alone.

When I finally got my shoes off, he toppled onto the blanket, grasping my hand and tugging me down along with him. A squeal burst through my lips as I fell into his lap. He wrapped his arms around my waist and laughed softly, "are you parents home?" I asked. He suddenly arched his brows, a mischievous smile spreading across his face. "Why do you wanna know that? My little mermaid?" He taunted. "Is there something you'd like to do?"

"No."

He lowered his head down onto my shoulder and smirked, "I know exactly what you want."

Present

"Doctor Aspen, please," I mumbled to the receptionist. She frowned deeply, her eyes narrowing in my direction. She nodded her head regardless and disappeared behind the entrance that led to Mrs. Aspen's office. A minute later they both stepped out. A nervous smile spread across Mrs. Aspen's lips as her eyes fell on me.

"Ariel, you–you came back." She stuttered nervously. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I did promise her that I wouldn't give up on Tobias. Sure, I'm still indifferent about the fact that he never openly told me about his personality disorder but that's not enough to make me run away. Everyone's hiding something. Everyone. "I came here to ask you something, it'll only be a minute."

She motioned towards the hallway leading into her office. "What is it, darling?" She questioned when we were finally away from earshot. "Mrs. Aspen, I need to ask you. Are they still not allowing Tobias any visitors? It's been a month, clearly, you haven't gone that long without seeing him." Much like the last time I visited here: the colour from her face completely flushed out the warmth of her skin tone.

She shook her head, "o-oh my god. I forgot to tell you. How could I forget that, especially after your visit the last time." She babbled as she tugged at her dark hair. "Ariel, Tobias is no longer being held at the prison. He got into an altercation with one of the corrections officers and he uh-"

"He what?" Come on spit out. She gulped and leaned against the wall as her hand came to rest against her chest. Without looking into my eyes she said, "he ripped the officer's ear off. Well, Ricky did. They restrained him and they recounted that he appeared as if he were a mad man. Their lawyer plus every person working in the court of law in this town knows Tobias suffers from mental health disorders and yet they purposely kept him in prison at the other inmate's disposal and corrections officers who hated him. Finally, they did what they should have done from the very beginning."

Her eyes finally met mine, "they sent him to a mental institute."

~~~