Chapter Twelve - Successful Risks

Start from the beginning

Sombra quickly typed on her computer, line upon line of purple code appearing on her monitor. Again, she began humming to herself contentedly, ironic considering she was currently hacking the database of a notorious terrorist organisation. Several seconds later, she forcefully pushed her finger down on the enter key, spinning around on her chair with a smile.

"Sencillo; that felt good. My good deed for the year is out of the way, yay..." she joked, causing you to roll your eyes with a smile.

"So...what are we gonna do now? Getting bored of lounging around in here" you stated, casually strolling over to a nearby drawer and pulling a leather jacket across your back.

"You mean my charming company isn't enough to keep you entertained, hombre soldado?" she questioned with a grin.

"You're incorrigible. You know what I mean. These walls are starting to close in on me, what can we do around here that's fun? Or at the very least distracting?" you replied, provoking Sombra to shrug her shoulders.

"Well...I can think of a few fun things to do right here..." she said, a coy look appearing on her face. "Or if you're really that desperate to leave the room, there's a shooting range on the south side of the base. It's usually pretty empty because it's miles from the barracks" she then suggested, standing up and turning her computer off.

"Sounds good...could always use more practice" you remarked, causing the hacker to give a mischievous grin.

"Yeah...someone has to teach you to shoot properly" she commented, aiming a devilish wink your way.

"Ohh...that's how it is?" you questioned with a chuckle, grabbing your assault rifle from the armoury, and swiping a few magazines of blanks.

"Ohh that's how it is," she confirmed, "let's see if soldier boy knows which way to hold a gun".

You shook your head with a grin, having already proven your marksmanship skills in India. Still, it would be fun to pull the trigger without the pressure of a mission on your shoulders. This contest was on...

Just as Sombra had said, the southern gun range was completely empty, with over twenty stalls to choose from. The wall behind you was absolutely covered with weapons of every variety, from sniper rifles and marksman rifles to shotguns and light machine guns, if it fired bullets then it was here.

As you stared in awe at the mass selection that was on offer, Sombra quickly scooted over to a nearby computer, setting up a basic set of targets to begin with. She set the firing distance to twenty metres, causing a selection of white dummy targets to appear downrange.

"Alright Y/N...standard set. Give it your best shot..." she said, moving aside with a smile and gesturing towards the range.

You stepped forwards, loading a round drum magazine full of dummy rounds into your rifle before lining up your shot. You couldn't help but smile as you frowned down the iron sights, feeling at home with your weapon in hand. And with a single deep breath, you fired.

The cycle continued. Fire. Breathe. Fire. Breathe. Fire. Breathe. Seconds passed, but they felt like minutes to you as you lined up each shot carefully. You weren't looking for the best time here, just the best aim. A klaxon suddenly sounded, announcing that you had finished, and you lowered your rifle with a satisfied smile. All targets down; three body shots, two headshots and one bullet through the neck.

"Think you can beat that?" you questioned smugly, leaning back against the wall with your arms folded.

"Muy impresionante, but hardly perfect. Step back and watch a professional" Sombra answered confidently, lightly shoving you aside as she took her position.