3. First Encounter

(Freshman year: Beam's POV)

"Aw, come on Ai'Pha. Why are you making us go with you?" Beam complained as he took forever putting his shoes on. "You're the one that got nominated for Campus Moon, not us. Are we even allowed to go to the activities with you?"

Kit stood leaning on the wall by the door with his arms folded, cranky as always. "Oi! How long will you keep complaining, Beam? Enough already. Let's just go."

"I appreciate you guys coming with me. I have no interest in being the Moon of the campus. But you guys helped vote for me to be the final candidate for the school of medicine even though you knew how I felt, so the least you can do is go with me." Phana cut his eyes at Beam when he said that last part.

Beam sighed heavily and stopped complaining. He knew Phana was right. Both he and Kit knew that Phana had no desire to be in the Moon & Star pageant, but there was no other guy that could be a better representative for their faculty. Phana was tall, handsome, extremely smart, and was full of charisma when he needed to be. None of the other guys measured up to that.

Beam finally tied up his shoes and headed towards the door.

"Alright, I'm ready."

Kit rolled his eyes and all three boys headed out to the meeting.

***

When the boys approached the meeting area, Beam immediately grew excited.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Look at all these girls. They're gorgeous!"

"Says the guy who didn't want to come." Kit said flatly. Phana just smirked.

"They're all the stars representing their faculties." Phana said to Beam. Beam continued to stare wide eyed with his mouth open as he turned his head all around trying to see each and every girl.

"Close your mouth, Beam. You might catch a fly." Kit shook his head. Phana chuckled and continued to lead the way. When they entered the meeting room, they were greeted by a girl who didn't look to be much older than them.

"Sawatdee ka. My name is Dream. I'm the coordinator for this year's competition and will be taking care of the contestants. What faculty are you boys from?"

"Sawatdee khrap, P'Dream. I'm from the school of medicine. These are my friends."

"I'm Beam, Khrap."

"Kit, Khrap."

They both waiied in unison and she waiied again back to them.

"Are you both contestants?" She asked politely.

Both boys shook their heads.

"We came to support our friend." Kit told her.

"Mmm..." She looked down at the clipboard she was carrying then into the room they were about to enter. "I'm sorry but only the contestants are allowed to enter the meeting space. But we could always use extra volunteers to help us with other things. Please write your names down here and I will direct you to where you need to go. The other volunteers are helping prepare the lunches for the contestants later today."

Beam's jaw dropped. "Volunteer?...prepare lunches??" He blinked at her. Kit didn't look too happy either.

"Thanks for the offer, but-" Beam started but Phana cut him off.

"They would love to help out. It's exactly how they planned to support me." Phana smiled at P'Dream. Both Kit and Beam snapped their heads to face him; what did he just say??

Beam's eyes were wide with shock and Kit flared his nostrils but stayed quiet.

"Perfect!" P'Dream smiled. "Please write your names down on this list here, and I will take you to the volunteer area."