0010

CHAPTER TEN

"You can't be serious

"You can't be serious." Julianna scowled. Pacing back and forth, her hands shaky as she constantly rubbed them together in nerves. She didn't have time to be sitting here arguing with her aunt. Not when her daughter was somewhere else upset and probably thinking of how much her mother betrayed her.

"And you Mrs. Kwon, I suppose this was all your doing." Mrs. Lee says.

"Joana, please do not take your anger out on Amelia." Josephine Kim softly speaks. Her voice more calm compared to the others. Her tone had a soft ring to it, one that could bring you a sense of comfort from just a few words. "I asked Amelia to sneak Jennie's admission past your knowledge. If you want someone to blame, it's me who you should blame."

The headmaster is quiet as she turns to look at her younger sister. Old age flowed through her but in the most natural and beautiful way. Joana even found herself frowning at the sight of her sister seated in the wheelchair but it was quickly masked with her sharp tongue.

"Of course this is your doing," she spat. "You don't think of anyone but yourself."

Julianna's eyes widen, quick to jump to her mother's defense. "Don't speak to her like-"

"Julianna." Josephine shakes her head, raising her hand slightly to silence her before turning her attention back to her sister. "You could be furious with me all you want Joana but I won't apologize for wanting my granddaughter to have to opportunity to attend this school. It's her birthright and I was not going to let you ruin that for her."

"Not even when it puts other children in danger Josephine?"

"She's a young witch who needs to learn her craft just as everyone else out there." Julianna can't help but interfere once more. Her movements coming to a halt as she takes a few steps forward towards her aunt. "You know what lies ahead for her and maybe it is my fault for not telling her and wanting for her to have normal childhood without the worry of knowing that there's people in this world that want her dead!"

"Honey." Andrew chimed in, noticing the anger behind his wife's words.

"No!" Julianna snaps. Tears brimming at her eyes. "Jennie belongs here and she will attend this school."

"Fine." Mrs. Lee simply says. "I'll allow her to stay on campus but when trouble comes knocking at the gates, what will happen then?"

Josephine sighs. "Must you always be so negative?"

"It's my job to keep this school safe, not yours."

With that, Joana was out the room. A soft sigh fell past Josephine's lips as she went to look at her daughter. She reached out, signaling for her to come over before she took her hand in her own and giving it a small squeeze. "Jennie will be alright."