Chapter Ten - A Momentary Diversion

Start from the beginning

"Sir. Madam. Many humble welcomes...how may I serve?" the omnic questioned politely, causing you to frown in confusion.

We fought these things for survival and now we let them wait on us?!

Sombra glanced your way, making note of your uncomfortable silence, before answering.

"Food, drink and a good view, por favor" she replied, placing a hand on your shoulder. "Something wrong? For a second there you froze up like a statue" she added quietly, a curious frown on her face.

"No, it's nothing. Just...can't believe I was fighting machines like that a decade ago" you remarked, staring suspiciously at the waiter.

He had his back turned to you, but there was no telling if he had heard or not.

"He's a waiter, Y/N. Come on, I doubt he was one of the ones firing at you" Sombra argued, removing her hand from your shoulder.

"Mhm...right. Let's just get a seat" you said bluntly.

"If you'll be so kind as to follow me, I will direct you to your table" the waiter stated, leading the way through the café in a posh movement.

The two of you shared a brief glance before walking behind the waiter as he led you out of the building and onto a large open balcony. Up here, there was a cool breeze which helped to combat the midday heat, and the views were simply breath-taking. The waiter led you to a table at the very edge of the balcony, with the greatest view you could imagine. You took a seat, Sombra opposite, and the waiter left as you browsed the menu.

"Christ...I haven't even heard of half of this stuff. What's 'Bistecca alla Fiorentina'?" you questioned with a confused look, causing Sombra to shrug her shoulders casually.

Perhaps this place was just a little too fancy for your tastes.

"Ooh...they do mezcal here, definitely having a shot of that" Sombra commented, a big grin appearing on her face.

You rolled your eyes.

"Never mind the alcohol, what are we gonna eat? I'm not picky but still" you replied.

Sombra gave a thoughtful look, continuing to scan the menu for anything that looked even slightly edible. Her eyes suddenly lit up when she came across a certain item on the menu.

"Well, I'm having the braised steak...you gonna join me?" she questioned, causing you to frown your eyes in confusion.

"Steak? I thought the cow was supposed to be sacred in India?" you asked in reply.

Your knowledge of foreign cultures was...limited at best, but you were sure you'd seen this on a documentary a couple of months ago. Clearly your question was amusing though, as Sombra chuckled at you.

"It is, but restaurants like this cater for every taste. The rich and powerful don't usually tend to let beliefs like that get in the way of a good meal. And neither will I, you game?" the hacker responded, causing you to nod your head.

Steak seemed normal enough, a place like this would probably add lots of unnecessary herbs to make it posh, but how fancy could they make it really?

The food arrived within ten minutes, once again courtesy of the omnic waiter, alongside the drinks which included Sombra's beloved mezcal. As soon as the waiter walked away, she took a sip of her drink and her eyes instantly lit up, causing you to smile widely.

"Ah...just like back home..." she commented, before staring out at the view.

You frowned for a moment, yet another question about Sombra's past entering your head. She always seemed cagey about her past but surely it couldn't hurt to ask.

"And...where is home? If you don't mind me asking..." you questioned, noticing her lower her head slightly as soon as she realised your question.

"Home is Talon now, but I get what you're asking. I'm from Mexico, nowhere in particular. Usual story, orphan moving from town to town. Nothing exciting" she explained, speaking swiftly as if she didn't want to dwell on the subject.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Doesn't sound like a nice childhood" you replied, almost wishing you hadn't asked now.

The bubbly and chatty Sombra that you were with just a second ago had disappeared, replaced by someone melancholic of the past.

"It wasn't, I hacked to stay alive. I sold my services like some online mercenary. It all went downhill there, I got noticed by people like Talon...and here I am" she stated, taking another sip of the mezcal, this time out of stress rather than for relaxation.

You gave a sympathetic look.

"Yeah...here you are sat in a sky-café, plotting to overthrow Talon and save the planet. Not a bad position to end up in, all things considered. You should be proud" you answered, hoping to raise her spirits with your sincerity.

Your words clearly had an impact, because quite soon Sombra looked up, right into your eyes, and smiled genuinely.

"You always know what to say, don't you?" she stated with a coy look.

She then proceeded to slowly lean over the glass table, moving her face incredibly close to yours. Your heart stopped for a moment, and you silently closed your eyes. And as your lips connected, she placed a hand on your cheek, holding the two of you together for a moment before pushing you away with a smile.

You stuttered for a moment, unsure of what to say. She'd been flirting with you since you'd met, but somehow, she'd still managed to catch you off-guard. Thoughts passed through your head like cars down a motorway, too fast to comprehend.

But as you began to regain your composure, you noticed her looking to her left with a concerned expression. You followed her gaze, into the restaurant, and noticed an omnic walking towards you, dressed in a tuxedo. Only this time, it wasn't the waiter. You recognised him at once, grimacing subtly.

"Maximilien, what are you doing here?" Sombra greeted with a disappointed tone.

The omnic stepped forwards, standing with his hands clasped behind his back in a regal position.

"Did you really think that after your recent misadventures you would be given free rein to do what you liked? The tracker in Y/N is not decorative. Time to come home" Maximilien, subtly glancing towards the roof, where the shuttle was supposedly waiting.

You and Sombra shared a solemn look, almost regretting your former happiness. How could you have thought it would be this easy? Talon weren't soon going to be fooled, and they certainly weren't going to entertain notions of grand dinners after every successful mission.

It would be a dark road to earn their trust, and as the two of you were near enough dragged back to base, you found yourself wondering if you would retain your innocence when all of this was over. Threatening a dirty general was one thing, but Talon were known for their ruthlessness. What were you going to have to do to blend in?

Brief Summary – After a highly successful mission, you and Sombra decide to share a meal at a high-class sky-café. During the dinner, you share an intimate moment, but unfortunately the peace is shattered by the arrival of Maximilien, who forces you back to Talon.