Chapter 14: Kindness

"This is amazing, Reiji." (Y/n) and Reiji sat at his elegant tea table sipping an exotic tea he'd concocted. The drink was a perfect balance of sweet and sourness that smoothly slid down her throat like Irish whiskey. It was too good, and if he'd given her the recipe, she'd probably become an addict.

Reiji shook his head in disdain despite the bubbly feeling in his chest.

"I have better tea, but this one is good for calming the nerves."

"So it's like sex in the form of tea? Maybe that's why it tastes so good."

"What?"

"What?" The room instantly faded into a semi-comfortable silence until a light knock came from the door. (Y/n) looked to Reiji who authoritatively let the person in.

"Yes?"

"Is momma here?" Though he'd asked the question, Kei had already caught his mother's fresh scent from a mile away. His older brother easily caught the trick and refused to answer. "Hmm? Could you be upset because I told you she'd come back."

"No."

"Then apologize to her."

"I already have."

"Really? I don't remember getting an apology." Piped (y/n), still sitting at Reiji's tea table. "I guess one thousand ninety-seven is the new old."

Her face wrinkled into a look of false hurt, making Reiji role his bright red eyes grumpily. The gesture greatly contrasted with the slight smirk on his soft lips.

"I'm sorry, mother. I won't doubt you again."

"Yes, you will. But don't worry, I'll always be there to put your mind at ease."

"Do you accept my apology?"

"Of course. How could I not accept an apology from Karlheinz's greatest prodigy?"She gave the dark-haired boy a bright smile, before gingerly kissing his cheek. Her sharp (e/c) gaze fell onto Kei.

"I'll never doubt you, momma." He mumbled shyly.

"I know, honey." She smiled warmly at him, opening her arms for him to run into. The golden-eyed child happily accepted the offer, allowing her to pick him up. "Well, we're off Reiji. I love you."

The simple phrase left him speechless and his lips formed a small "o". He was so speechless, in fact, that when he'd finally figured out how to reply, (y/n) was already gone. His expression melted into a small smile as he touched his cheek where she'd kissed him.

It was warm. Since he was a vampire, Reiji could only dream of holding such heat. However, with just a little bit of care, (y/n) managed to make it a reality. 'I guess she isn't as bad as I thought.'

~~~~~~~~~~~

When Subaru walked into his room, he couldn't help the groan that irritably rumbled in his chest.

"What do you want?" Kanato peered from behind a random chair with a dreary smile. The heavy black bags that hung under his dull violet eyes only added to his disheveled appearance, further putting Subaru off.

Suddenly the depressing child walked forward until he was an eerie inch away from his younger brother.

"Teddy and I were wondering, what exactly is it like to be loved by mother?"